Chapter Six - Agreement

"The human world? I mean, I'd like to...but why would you ask that?"

Clockwork floated over to the viewscreen, and waved his staff across it. The screen changed from the family at the dinner table to a bird's eye view of a town.

"I have a task for you."

I've helped Clockwork with his job plenty of times before, he says it's a good way to learn about time hands on, so I usually know what to expect even if these jobs are more spread out than they sound.

But this time, it felt different. I've never actually had to go anywhere to help him, I just stay by his side while he fixes what needs to be fixed and I look out for any possible interferences.

"This is Amity Park, where you will be staying for the next year."

"A year? Why?"

Clockwork solemnly nodded, and beckoned me over with his hand. I floated over to the screen.

"There is a boy there you need to protect for me."

I nodded, I could do that. A year in the human world wouldn't feel half as long as a year in the Ghost Zone. Without the sun and moon to represent day or night, it's difficult to really keep track of the days, they all seem to blend together.

You wake up, and the Ghost Zone is green. You go to sleep, and it's still green.

"Who is it?"

Clockwork's staff waved over the viewscreen once more, zooming in on two boys and a girl walking on a sidewalk.

It zoomed in again on just one of the boys, the pale one out of the two.

"What's so special about him? Does he end up making a cure all known diseases or bring world peace?"

"This boy is half human, half ghost, (Y/N)."

I could feel my jaw hang open when I had to shake myself out of my own thoughts. Get a grip, there's already a half human half ghost hybrid, it was bound to happen again sooner or later.

"He uses his powers for protecting the town he lives in from ghost attacks."

"That's nice, I suppose. What does he need protecting from?"

"There are many dangers that you will need to look out for, but mainly, his parents."

"Why would he need protection from his parents?"

Clockwork turned and looked me in the eyes. He looked disturbed, which was something Clockwork rarely expresses. Normally, his face is calm and neutral, I've seen him smile or smirk a good amount of times, but I've never seen him look so...

"His parents and the citizens of Amity Park don't know of his secret, except for his two best friends. His parents are ghost hunters, and their goal is to experiment on and dissect his ghost persona."

His explanation took me by surprise, and I felt my gut twist uncomfortably in disgust, my eyes were wide and unblinking.

"...They'd actually do that to ghosts?"

"They've come close before."

Bile rises in my throat. I would say he's kidding, but I know he wouldn't joke about something so tragic. That, and he has a dry sense of humor.

"So, what? I protect him for a year from his parents and I'm home free?"

"Yes. But (Y/N), you must understand before you agree to this that there are other things you'll have to protect both himself and yourself from. And this is very dangerous."

I fell silent while I thought over my options.

"If you refuse to do it, that's fine. I would just prefer it to be that way."

And I know what he meant by that, he wants me to be with humans and experience life outside the Ghost Zone for a while.

"Where would I stay and how would I pay for necessitates?"

"I would take care of it. Money, however, would be your responsibility to make."

"Would I have to attend high school?" I ask and place my feet firmly on the floor, the trick I use for not phasing through the hard tiles.

"Yes."

"Last question. Would I still be able to be in touch with you?"

Clockwork smiled a little, I was considering my options heavily and he knew it.

"Unfortunately, no."

My growing grin fell. I was so close to saying, 'No, I'm not doing this. It's not worth being away from you.'

"But, his parents have a portal to the Ghost Zone. If you manage to gain access to it, you could come visit me, and I'll be watching you every step of the way."

I'd never be alone. Depending on the way you look at it, it could be both a positive and negative or positive. But as of now, it's positive.

I take a deep breath in and exhale.

"I'll do it."

And for the first time in my life, I'm worried.