t w i c e u p o n a s t a r

"Do you believe in coincidences? Or fate?"

Some people see certain things as coincidence. Everything happens by chance. The person you keep bumping into at the supermarket, the one who grabbed the same bread as you and allowed you to have it. It was just a coincidence. Could have happened to anyone. The girl who survived the car accident but lost her parents, mere coincidence. It could have been anyone else.

Yet.

We all ask ourselves, why? Why did it happen to me? Why did they touch my hand? Why did we both blush? Why her? Why did she have to be valedictorian? What about him? He didn't deserve to die? Why did you take him?

We all ask why. But maybe, just maybe, it all happened for a reason. You were chosen to fall in love, especially after everything that's gone wrong in your life. You were chosen to have something good happen. She became valedictorian because she earned it. She was committed to helping the world and to her studies. She was destined to become the person who cured cancer. It wasn't his fault. He wasn't chosen to die. It was the other person. They were horrible, they had no remorse. But the second they took a child's life, they regretted it all. They had to realise what they had done wrong, and this was how it was meant to happen.

|N.H.|

Niall walked out of the kitchen of Rosemary's, a large banquet hall, with a tray of bacon-wrapped shrimp in his hand. "Just another hour. That's all," he told himself. He entered the dining hall where everyone was sitting, eating, and chatting. He walked around small clusters of various guests. "Shrimp, anyone?" He asked. He was mostly declined, for people were saving their appetites for the feast that was soon to take place, but every few did grab one or two of the small appetizers.

With only three pieces left on his tray, he walked off, retreating back into the kitchen. His boss, David, called everyone to gather around. "Alright, so all that's left is for us to serve dinner and set up the candy bar for the guests to serve themselves. Then, we can pack up and get out of here. But first, is anyone available next weekend?"

Niall rose his hand along with a few others. David smiled. "Excellent, we'll be working a masquerade ball for some big shot CEO. This is an important job, and you six are going to be paid extra for this one. Lots of rich people, lots of fat people, lots of food." The group chuckled softly, before separating to serve dinner.

Niall sighed to himself. Great, a party full of rich people. No, scratch that, a ball. Who the hell held balls? Especially masquerade balls? Shaking his head to clear it of his thoughts, he grabbed two plates of food and walks out to serve his assigned table.

× ×

Twenty minutes later, Niall was in the bathroom of Shakers, changing his clothes for his night shift. He and Harry would be closing, seeing as how Zayn called in sick, and Katie had already done her shift for the day. He stripped off the outfit he had worn for the catering gig he did for David's Devourers Catering Service, a horrid name if you asked Niall, and pulled on a pair of black jeans and a red and black flannel. He slipped into a pair of vans and tied his Shakers apron around his waist.

He stuffed all of his other clothes into his bag and exited the bathroom, struggling to zip the bag. He grunted softly and pulled at the zipper. It broke off, and the force from his pull had him falling backwards in the middle of the cafe, straight into someone's arms.

He gasped, fearing he would hit the floor, but looked up with wide eyes to his saviour. It had been Mr. Tomlinson's businessman friend. The hot one. Liam. The one who Niall had seen every time Louis entered, which had been almost every day for the past week straight. Niall couldn't forget his name (or his face) even if he tried. "Oh, Liam!" He said, staring up at the man. It was an excellent angle to notice the man's strong jaw, strong enough to cut diamonds. At least, that's what Niall was thinking.

"You alright there, sugar?" Liam asked, staring down at the boy. Niall nodded dumbly, mouth still slightly open as he stared up in awe.

"Chocolate," Niall said.

Liam raised an eyebrow and lifted the boy back up to his feet. "Pardon?"

Niall reached out with his thumb. "Er, you've got a spot of chocolate right here on your chin," he said, wiping it away, before sticking his thumb into his mouth to clean it off.

Liam stared at the boy, face passive, but he could feel the pit of his stomach grow warm and he swore he felt his pupils dilate at the sight.

Niall seemed to realize what he did and froze. "Oh, uh, sorry. I would've given you a napkin but I don't have any with me."

Liam chuckled slightly. "There's a whole stack in your apron, Sugar."

"Sugar?" Niall asked.

Liam shrugged. "It's sweet, like you. Plus, you do work here, in a little cafe with very sweet pastries."

Niall blushed, and unfortunately for his pale skin, he couldn't hide it. He blushed darker as a smirk grew on Liam's lips. "Uh, sp-speaking of sugar and p-pastries, can I eat you anything?" He asked before realizing his words. "Oh, uh, I meant 'get' you anything," he said, ears going red at the tips.

"The usual. Black tea and your choice of sweets for me."

Niall nodded and turned away. He stepped into the kitchen to tell Harry to bring out the fudge brownies coated with powdered sugar and small sugar crystals. He made Liam's tea and handed him the cup and the small saucer holding the brownie. "On the house."

"Thanks, Sugar."