t h i r d t i m e ' s t h e c h a r m

"Ever been unsure of love?"

We, as human beings, read deeply into our emotions. The way our hearts leap at happy endings, the way our heart cry over a sorrowful loss. We use our emotions to guide us through life. Fear helps keep us safe from dangers. Anger, helps us express ourselves. Sorrow helps us with our troubles. And Love, love helps us by making sure we aren't alone.

But when we first fall in love, we aren't sure what's happening. Is this love? We don't know what it truly is. Am I in love? We don't ever really know, we just assume. Are they in love? We can't read the other's mind, but we can only hope. Or is this just infatuation? Most of the time, it actually is. Is my heart overpowering my mind? Probably. Should it be doing so? No one really knows.

Should I allow it to?

That, my friend, is entirely up to you.

|L.P.|

Liam sat behind his desk, typing up an email. He was hosting a ball the following evening and wanted to be sure everything was still going well. He emailed his personal assistant and asked her what the count was for the guest list and for a copy of the menu, alongside the playlist for the entire evening.

Within five minutes, a reply appeared, and Liam sighed with relief. He was happy things were going well and that everything was in order. His eyes scanned over the response and made a mental note of the two hundred and seventeen guests, which would be two hundred and twenty-four once he included himself and the six members from the catering service. He nodded at the menu, a chocolate fountain with a different assortment of treats for people to dip within the topping, followed by three course meal beginning with small servings of baked macaroni and cheese covered in truffles, to be followed with freshly caught and seared salmon with poached eggs and mashed potatoes alongside salad, and to end the night off, the guests would be served baked Alaska with the guests' choice of either lemon meringue or chocolate fudge pie.

Liam smiled to himself and nodded. Everything looked right, nothing looked out of order. His eyes gazed over the playlist for the evening. It would be classical music playing that evening, even though Liam had a great distaste for it. Unfortunately, the majority of his guests were elder CEOs who needed to pass off their company, while others were people who needed to sell their company. Naturally, like the good businessman he is, Liam planned to play the field and see what he could score.

He looked away from his computer as a series of knocks were placed on the door of his office. "Yes, come in," he said, before pulling off his glasses and setting them down. A smile broke out as Louis stepped in. "Hey, Tommo. How's it?" He asked, leaning back in his chair.

Louis smiled. "Hey, ready to go?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning back against the wall. "I told Curly I'd be picking him up in twenty minutes."

Liam rolled his eyes, but stood up and pulled in his jacket. "This is what, your twelfth date?" He asked with a soft smile. "You're really falling for that kid, aren't you?"

Louis shook his head. "He's not a kid, Liam. He's perfectly legal, just a bit on the young side," he said as they stepped out of the office and headed to the elevator.

Liam chuckled and pressed the button for the ground floor. "A bit on the young side? Louis, Harry is nineteen. You're going to be thirty in two years."

Louis scoffed. "And? Age is just a number, mate. Besides, haven't you for a thing for that little blonde lad?"

Liam shook his head. "I've got something for Niall. Not sure what," he said, as they exited the building before heading off to Shakers.

|N.H.|

"Evenin'. I'd like a tea. Black. And a dessert of your choice, sugar."

A bright blush grew on to Niall's face as he looked up to meet Liam's deep brown eyes. "Evening, Mr. Payne," he said, before ringing up the business man's total. "Same as every other day," he said with a soft laugh, smiling at him. He held his hand out and waited for the usual tenner to be dropped into his hand.

However, his eyes widened as he was handed a crisp fifty dollars bill. "I, uh . . . What?" Niall questioned, slightly confused.

Liam grinned as he was handed a lemon scone and a black tea. "Just thought I'd leave a bit of a tip for my favorite blonde," he said, before winking.

Niall sighed and placed his chin in the palm of his hand, a dopey smile on his face as he watched Liam walk away.