An Old 'Friend'

Mark's POV

"W-What? " y/n asked shakily.
"I don't mean to ruin your mood but, I - I can see that your still scared of something, and I want to help" I said looking at her. Her mind and curious smile now faded. Her face looked grim almost.
"You don't have to answer but, I really want you to know... " I paused and held one of her hands.
"...if ever you want to talk, I'll be here. If you need someone, I'm here" she looked at me like she was seeing a ghost. Her gaze fell to the floor. My hand rubbed hers gently, my fingers brushing over the edge of her long sleeve. They were taunted to slip under the sleeves just a little, just to hold her closer and as much as I could.

I think she noticed they were getting close and pulled away her hand. She wrapped her arms around her torso and avoided looking at me.
"I'm not... " she said quietly.
"Don't tell me that, I can see it" she shifted her gaze to me again, somewhat terrified.

I let out a breath and scooted close to her. I wanted to reach out for her hands again but decided not to. She is a very reserved person, I know that.

"You're cautious, too cautious sometimes. Even when you're around me, you know I won't hurt you"
"I know that " she responded quietly, glancing away for a split second.
"Yet you always seem extra careful around me" I stated, knowing I was right. She remained silent, not looking at me.

I sighed, hoping I won't scare her with what I'm about to say.
"I may not have known you for a long time but I feel like I know you. Honestly, I knew someone like you a long time ago. But then again not quite " I stared at the wall across the room, somewhat reminiscing.

I noticed y/n at the corner of my eye looking toward me, I guess I got her attention. My head hung, a sad smile formed on my face.
"Not quite? " she inquired.
"Yeah, you're more reserved than he was, he went through a lot, but I get the feeling you went through way more" I said just glancing her way.
She didn't say anything more.

A brief silence fell over us, it wasn't awkward or anything like that. But here was something unsettling about it.

'You're a real peach'
'Dark, shut up. You wouldn't understand, you're a heartless monster'

He actually shut up for once. Truth is, he's been very quiet lately. Namely, since I met y/n. He's up to something, I know it, he's never this quiet unless he's planning something. I'll see about that later.

I caught y/n as she was wiping her face, I guess hoping I didn't see.
I felt so bad for her, she is such a nice person. To think what she might have gone through, I feel sick to think about it.

I took a deep breath and gently placed my arm around her, pulling her closer into a hug. She flinched at first but relaxed afterwards.

"I don't know what you went through. Abuse, heartbreak, both, whatever it is, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to. But just know that I'll be here if you ever need someone. I may only know you for a short time, but honestly, I like you" I held my breath, not knowing what I was expecting. She didn't react, at least not physically.

"Don't take it the wrong way, but I am fond of you"

'Smooth '
'Fuck off'

I heard y/n stifle a soft sniffle and pulled away to see a few tears on her face. My thumb instantly wiped them away.
"I didn't mean to make you cry, I'm so sorry"

'Wow, and you call me an asshole'

Honestly, I agreed with Dark, I felt horrible.