It's not a Jewel

As they entered the office, Rebecca gestured for Stephen to take a seat on one side a large wide oak desk. A gentleman was already sitting on the other side of the of the desk. Stephen looked from Rebecca to the gentleman as she took her seat behind the desk.

"Mr. Mulhern, this is Mr. Lamberton. He will be doing the official reading of Mr. Brophy's will and then we have some papers for you to sign and you will be on your way.

"I'm sorry. I am still confused as to why I am at the NSPCC?" Stephen looked from one to the other again searching for some type of reaction. Rebecca smiled at Stephen.

"Mr. Lamberton, whenever you're ready."

Mr. Lamberton brought a briefcase up to the desk and pulled out some papers and a large manila envelope. "Mr. Mulhern, I am going to read Mr. Brophy's last will and testament and then you will sign it acknowledging it was read to you. Do you understand?"

Stephen nodded.

"Alright." Mr. Lamberton held a packet of papers near his face as he adjusted his glasses. "I'll begin...I, Jonathan Brophy, being of sound mind and body, request that upon my death, legal custody and guardianship of Ruby Giselle Brophy, born 14 February 2013, be transferred to Stephen Daniel Mulhern. This transfer shall not be contested and documentation from any remaining relatives of mine, releasing all rights to custody of Ruby Giselle Brophy, are attached with this final will and testament. Attached will also be the certificate of death for Nicole Marie Harland, mother to Ruby Giselle Brophy, thereby granting me full custody and legal rights to allow the transfer of those rights.

If Stephen Daniel Mulhern shall contest to taking custody and guardianship of Ruby Giselle Brophy, a hearing shall occur in which any aforementioned relatives may have the right to take custody and guardianship. Mr. Mulhern will be allowed a one week probation in which he may decide to take custody or not. During this week, I request that Mr. Mulhern still care for Ruby Giselle Brophy, and if at the end of the period he chooses to not take custody, he will arrive back at NSPCC to arrange hearing for transfer of custody and guardianship.

Signed

Jonathan Christopher Henry Brophy 23 June 2016"

Mr. Lamberton removed his glasses and set them on the desk with the will. "Mr. Mulhern, do you understand what I have just read to you?"

Stephen did not say anything. He stared at the desk in a trance. He didn't know what to think, he didn't know what to feel, and more importantly, he didn't know what he supposed to do.

"Mr. Mulhern?" Rebecca said and reached across for Stephen's hand resting on the desk.

Stephen woke from his trance, " Excuse me?"

"Do you understand what has just been read to you?" Mr. Lamberton repeated in an impatient tone.

"Uh...yeah." Stephen mumbled.

"Good, then I need you to sign." Mr. Lamberton pushed the papers across the desk to Stephen and rolled a pen to him.

Stephen picked up the pen and turned to the final page where he was to sign acknowledging that he had just been told he was be given a child to look after. He paused and a lump formed in his throat when he saw Jonathan's signature on the page; he ran his thumb across the signature before signing his name on the line next to it.

"Thank you, sir." Mr. Lamberton separated the papers and gave Stephen a copy while putting the rest in his briefcase and left the office.

Stephen stared at Rebecca, saying nothing.

"Well, we should get the rest out of the way. Mr. Brophy has created this for you. It contains all of the paperwork you will need. Medical records, birth certificate, lists of allergies and that. Basically any information he felt you will need." Rebecca slid the manila envelope across desk.

"These forms are recognition that you are accepting custody and care for Ruby Giselle Brophy. I just need you to sign on the bottom and we can go get her and you can be on your way."

Stephen looked from the paper to Rebecca. "What?"

"Ruby Brophy? We can get you and her on your way once you sign here." She pointed the bottom of the paperwork with the pen.

"What if..." Stephen trailed off. "What if I can't do it?"

Rebecca sat back in her chair. "Mr. Mulhern, ultimately this is your choice. You are not forced to accept custody of the child no matter what the will and testament says. We do not want to have children going into homes where they will not be taken care of properly. If you do not feel you can handle it you can sign the papers turning custody over to the State and Ruby will be placed in foster care until other family can be contacted per Mr. Brophy's other stipulations. It is your choice."

Stephen sat in silence. "He was my best mate. We grew up together."

"I am sorry for your loss, Mr. Mulhern. I understand this time is hard for you, but we have to move forward with this. You have to decide." Rebecca did her best to sound patient and sympathetic.

"I can't just ignore his final wishes, you know? You said, I have a week?" Stephen looked up, asking.

"Yes. Mr. Brophy gave you a week to make your decision, asking that you still care for Ruby in the mean time. You can sign a temporary guardianship for the week. If you decide you can care for her, you can sign the permanent custody papers at the end of the week or sooner." Rebecca said in an official tone.

Stephen slid the papers closer and signed.

"Great." Rebecca handed Stephen a copy of the papers and rose from her desk. She opened the door to the office and motioned for Stephen to exit. Stephen grabbed the folder and papers and nodded as he went out in to the hallway.