INTERLUDE I

The ticking of the clock harmonises with the chirping of birds outside the tinted window. This white prison is synonymous with nausea and painful memories - and I try to internalise this feeling until it eats me alive.

"You look upset," Dr. Sherazi prompts me.

Soft-cheeked, well-educated and poised like she cared for no one more, my psychologist is a trustworthy woman. But I can't let her know about Juliet.

My brain feels sluggish, alien; they're talking about getting me scheduled on the surgical waiting list. I vomited in the bin last time I was here. Fucking glioma.

The room has been furnished slightly off-theme, the lilies removed and replaced by garish carnations. The window has been properly bleached, the corners of grime absent from the growing edges.

"So what's happening?"

I've been called to the stand as a witness. The attorney warned me about this, but since the trail has progressed they've decided to use me.

"Oh, my. Would you like to talk about that?"

Holy hell, did I! The secret history of us would be torn and twisted and ravaged at, the jury my godless audience. I wouldn't be shocked if I started bleeding from the eyes.

Popping a mint in her mouth, I get a waft of the toothpaste scent from my own chair. The art of honesty is a loveless game, and I don't know whether I should spill my guts.

I'm afraid. I'm afraid of cross-examination and everyone looking at me... what if I say something wrong?

"I've had various clients who have had to testify before," Dr. Sherazi assures me soothingly. "Bravely, so. The key to success is to speak clearly and truely, and know that any detail can help convict Juliet's killer."

Batty. I'd hoarded her copy of Tess of the d'Urbervilles, waiting for somebody to request it back, but no one did.

The carnations dripped petals over the immaculate desk.

Yes, I suppose you're right. Particularly since they're convicting her father.