Chapter 35

"Oh my god! He actually said that to you?!" Tanya asked. I nodded.     

"That's good news, Paige! I'm happy for you!"

"It's good that your hard work paid off! You deserve it!" I just smiled at them.

     I told them what happened yesterday. They were actually happy for me. Almost HAPPIER than me, and I don't know why. Maybe it's because they knew that I've waited too long for this to happen. Well, I kept on convincing myself that I should be happy that he’s starting to like me and that I deserve it too damn much.

“But why don’t you look happy?” Stacy asked? I let out a controlled sigh.

“I should be happy, right? But I can’t seem to be, you know? It’s just that I’m worried.”

“Why? What’s to worry about?”

“Because— I can’t help but think. What if he’s just playing with me? We just had a fight. I think it’s not right if he could like me after that, you know?”

     We had a little bit of silence after that. Thinking of what’s behind Asher’s sudden confession. It’s kinda hard to believe that he would like me after all what happened between the two of us. It’s not impossible, but it’s just unbelievable at this moment. I can’t seem to digest all of it.

“That’s not impossible, Paige.”

“We don’t know by now, but he must prove it to you that he’s serious about what he said.” I laughed a little bit.

“I can’t tell him that. I don’t want to seem so eager, you know?”

“You don’t need to tell. He must know that he needs to show it.” I nodded.

     The bell rang. We got our bags and hurriedly went out of the room. We decided to put the books in our locker and head to the field. It’s a week before finals, and we’re given a lot of free time to do some reviewing, but we chose not to. It seemed like yesterday when school just started and now we’re almost about to graduate. Yay! Senior year’s almost finished, but I’m still single. It’s too bad that my friends and I are going to part ways after we finish high school. It’s sad that Asher and I won’t be together like we used to be.

“Do you have a college to go to?” Tanya asked me.

“Well, I’m not sure yet. I’m choosing between NYU and Yale.”

“Oh my god! Let’s go to NYU together!”

“Our days are numbered already, guys.”

     We suddenly got sad. We’ve been together for a long time already. Besides, I’m not good in making friends. I have trust issues. It would be hard for me to make friends if I ever go to college. We were looking at the pep squad practicing routines when two roses showed up in front of me.

     It’s Asher and William… or should I say Adam. They were standing in front of me while holding two long stem pink tulips. The girls beside me gave me meaningful looks as if teasing me.

“We’re sorry.” They both said in unison. 

     That made me smile. They really know what I like. Or Asher knows what I like. I stood up and hugged the both of them.

“Apology accepted.” I said as I felt their arms enveloping my body.

“God, I miss hugging you.” William suddenly said. Asher suddenly got out of the hug and glared at him.

“What did you just say?!”

“I was just kidding!” He said agitatedly. “God, you do love her, huh!” He continued. We all looked at him, in shocked of what he said. I gave him a what-the-hell look.

“You’re crazy!” Asher said. “You really are my bro!” He added. Then they both laughed.

“What?! He’s your brother?!” Tanya was shocked, but Stacy wasn’t. Is it possible that she knew?!

“Stacy, you knew?!” I asked her. She nodded like it was no big deal. “Yeah, he said it to me. I’m sorry if I didn’t say a thing. He told me not to tell.” She continued.

“C’mon, Paige. Let’s go.” Asher tugged my arm and we started walking.

     No one talked while we were walking. He opened the door that led to the rooftop. Why did he take me here?

“Why are we here?”

“Well, I want to sleep.”

“You drag me here just so you can sleep?” I hissed at him.

“I want to be with you.” The he wiggled his eyebrows at me.

     We sat on the ground, and then he lay down and rested his head on my lap. He closed his eyes, but he opened it again.

“I like you, Paige. It’s true.” He held my head and kissed my forehead.

“What about Lorraine?” He was taken aback by my question.

     He suddenly got up and cupped my face.

“I told you, I broke up with her.”

“She loves you, Ash.”

“But I don’t.”

“Well, you can’t just like me all of a sudden.” I finally said it. I know I shouldn’t ask, but I think I’ll go crazy if I didn’t.

     He let out a sigh. Did I offend him?

“I know this is crazy, or unbelievable. But Paige, I like you even before I confessed.” I was taken aback at what he said. I don’t know how to react.

“Is that true?” I managed to say.

“I’m not lying. I know it’s not nice to use anyone to hide your feelings from somebody, and I’m a total asshole for doing that. I never thought that I would like my best friend, but I guess I am eating my words now. I tried everything, Paige. I really did, to the point that I started hurting your feelings.” His face looked sad. “I am not the guy of your dreams, I know that, but give me a chance to show you that I really do like you.” He added. My heart skipped a beat. He really is a man of his words.

“How?” He held my hand and kissed it. That made me smile. I like it when he respects girls.

“Can you just please trust me on that, Paige?” I was able to nod. I’m still flabbergasted at what he’s doing right now. I’m not used to him treating me like a real girl. Not as a little sister or best friend, just plain old Paige. And I think I’m gonna like it. Aren’t I lucky?!

“Okay.” I finally said.   

(A/N) Hey guys! Hate to break it to you but this story will come to an end soon. Maybe 5 chapters more? I don't know! But it'll end soon! :(