Chapter 6 - What a coinkydink

Sleep was not my friend during the night, as I continued to learn more about Nate’s body than I was comfortable knowing. When I woke up, a dreary rain enclosed the city, which in general echoed my mood. It was a little chilly, so it wasn’t the warm rain I enjoy being out in.

Since my life had decided to turn a little screwy, it made sense to me that the weather would do the same. Getting ready went a little slower than normal because my body took a while to crawl out from under my purple sheets.

I was just going to the gym, so I didn’t worry about looking presentable. Dressing in a plain purple tee and some jeans, I grabbed my already packed gym bag and headed out the door. I didn’t even bother brushing out my hair, just pulled it back in an elastic hair-tie. 

After a short train ride, I arrived at the gym. In a city as large as New York City, I didn’t know what I’d do without the various forms of public transportation. The only thing I thought was scarier than a large group of people, was those people in motor vehicles.

I didn’t see Frannie or Nate as I walked in, so I got an energizing protein shake to help me get ready for class. I didn’t see many people as I looked around. From where I chose to sit, I could watch the door, but not necessarily be seen by those coming in, so when Nate walked in and looked around not noticing me, I was amused.

He briefly talked to the first employee he found, and after a quick point of a finger by the other man, Nate headed towards the locker room to get changed. His attire before changing was more akin to what he wore at the hockey game than his work clothes. A pair of dark jeans was matched with a baby blue polo.

I was a little surprised he hadn’t worn a jacket or hat because of the rain. I was used to the weather, and if I thought about it, I expected coming from Chicago he’d be too, but most guys I’d seen commuting that morning had some sort of protection against the rain.

While he changed into whatever he had in the black duffle bag over his shoulder, I waited for Frannie. I did my best not to think about the Nate from my dreams, and just how accurate those dreams were.

Five minutes later, she finally appeared with her bag in hand. Waving so she saw me, I met her halfway and we made our way into the female locker room to get changed. I only took a few seconds to switch clothes, but of course Frannie had to look perfect, and took about twenty minutes.

I didn’t see any reason to make sure my hair looked perfect, and for her, it wasn’t like Gary was around to impress. Nate was on one of the weight machines working his triceps when we finally made it back out into the gym. Seeing his bare arms and legs, I flashed back to the dream I was really hoping I could forget ever happened. Hoping didn’t do me a lot of good when I seemed to constantly be thinking about it.

Frannie followed my gaze and laughed. “Come on, we need to get to class. You can ogle the goods later.”

Giving myself a mental slap, I followed her to the Spinning room. We were both in really good shape, so class was always relatively easy for us, but by the end there was a lot of sweat pouring out of our bodies. We had vitamin water to help keep us hydrated, because without it I was pretty sure we’d be nothing more than puddles on the ground.

After the thirty-minute class, any thought of hitting one of the various machines for a little extra fun was the furthest thing from my mind. All I wanted was to get the extra layers of sweat off my body and find a nice cold shower to accomplish the task. I didn’t turn the water to the coldest setting, but by the time I was washed off, I felt a lot better.

“Hey, Avery, I need to talk to you a sec.” I wasn’t expecting Nate right outside the locker room waiting for me, so I jumped when I heard his voice.