Chapter 25 - Smile...it confuses people

The next morning I woke up already bored out of my mind. It was sad that without opening my eyes, I already knew I’d find lying in bed more exciting than anything I had planned. I couldn’t believe I had over a whole week of it.

I decided the night before that my goal for the day was to not see Nate. In order to succeed, I had to get out of the apartment as soon as possible, just in case he decided to use that key of his. I was banking on him not already using his key and sleeping on my sofa.

I quickly got ready and decided it had been a couple of days without a quirky shirt, so I went for the one that was about an opportunist drinking the glass of water that an optimist, a pessimist and a realist were busy fighting over.

Matching it with a pair of blue jeans, I called it good. I slid into my flip-flops, grabbed my keys and wallet and I was out the door. I didn’t even stop to see if I had a visitor on my couch.

Not sure what to do, but thinking Frannie might have some ideas, I decided to head to the nearest gas station and see if they had any of those throw away cell phones, since mine was still in Liz’s hands.

Thankfully, there was an assortment. Not being particular, I grabbed one and a minutes card and headed to the checkout. Once done in the store, I walked outside and activated the phone.

I knew chances were good Frannie would want to stay in Manhattan, so I hopped on the train taking me closer to her apartment. On the way, I tried to give her a call, but she didn’t pick up. She was probably still sleeping.

I decided to waste some time by stopping at a bakery and ordering a breakfast sandwich on a croissant. I sat in their patio area, people watching while eating the flaky delight. When I finished, I tried Frannie again and made it through to an actual person.

“This is Frannie,” she answered, way too perky for that hour of the morning.

“Hey Frannie, this is Avery.”

“Really? What number are you calling me from? I don’t recognize it.”

“Just a throw away phone I picked up this morning. My usual phone is getting worked on because it started acting funny.” It sounded like a rational enough excuse, so I just rolled with it. “Anyway, Frannie, I have the day off and I bored myself to tears sitting around the apartment yesterday, so I was hoping you’d be free and have some ideas on how to spend the day.”

“Well, you know me. I was planning on going out shopping today. You could tag along if you’d like.”

I could envision her eyes lighting up as she thought about shopping. I, on the other hand, cringed. Shopping was not how I’d hoped to spend the day, but it was probably somewhere Nate wouldn’t think of looking for me.

“That sounds great. Do you want to meet somewhere? I just finished eating some breakfast and I’m on your side of town.”

“That’s perfect. I was hoping to go to Madison Avenue today and hit a few stores. Remind me to also stop by FAO Schwarz and pick up a present for my niece.”

I didn’t think I was really dressed for Madison Avenue, but oh well. I knew from the start trying to recruit Frannie’s help to keep busy would probably end in me having to do something girlie. That didn’t mean I had to smile while I was doing it though.

We met up at the north end of Madison Avenue and hit Ralph Lauren first. I assumed they didn’t have peculiar t-shirts, so I pretty much just followed behind Frannie, holding things for her while she tried clothes on. By the time we were done, we walked out with practically a whole new wardrobe.

After Ralph Lauren, we hit Juicy Couture and Prada. In each store Frannie kept finding things she just had to have. I’d said it before, and I’d say it again, being raised always having money available for anything you wanted made you have to have a whole bunch of crap. I didn’t think she’d end up wearing half the things she bought.