Chapter 9

**November's POV**

We arrive back at the Pole and stay in the globe room, showing Malachi around.

"I thought the elves made the toys," he said.

"We just let them believe they do." He whispers to him. Malachi laughs and North claims that he has things to take care of with Tooth and Bunny. Sandy sends us symbols, telling us that he must go give children their good dreams. Jack and I smile and nod. He waves at us, makes a small airplane out of his sand and takes off.

There's an awkward silence in the room for a moment.

"So," says Malachi. "You're new." He stares at me.

"Yeah uh how did you know?"

"I can tell." He looks me up and down. I blush.

" Okay that's enough," Jack says and pushes me forward.

"Gees. He's controlling."

Jack turns around and faces Malachi. Malachi smiles.

"Jack, Jack no let's just go to our room." I say.

He looks down at me. "Fine." He walks away. I catch up and grab his hand. We're walking to the globe room when Malachi says, "Talk to you later, November." I look over my shoulder and smile before turning.

Back in our room I shut the door and lock it. Jack throws his staff at the wall and blasts ice all around. He's breathing really hard and his hands are curled up in fists.

"Jack! Seriously? He's just being a jerk."

He turns his head a little and glares at me.

"Jack, what's your problem?" I grab his arm.

"That kid is." He says harshly. He yanks his arm away from my grasp and sits on the bed.

"Jack look noth-"

"It doesn't matter. Just leave."

"Leave?"

"Leave me alone!" He shouts and jumps in my face.

I stagger back and my eyes widen and fill with tears.

"Fine," I whisper.

I turn and leave.

"November wai-"

I slam the door and run down the hall, concealing myself in darkness.

I find myself in the library, sobbing.

What is wrong with Jack? I don't get it. Did I do something wrong?

I sit on a sofa in the back.

I sigh and lean my head back and close my eyes. Then I hear the door open. I'm expecting Jack but it's Malachi.

He sees me and walks over there. "You okay?" He asks.

I nod and turn my head away.

"Boyfriend troubles?"

"No. It doesn't matter."

He sits down next to me.

"Tooth told me to give this to you," he holds out his hand to me. It's my memories.

"Thank you," I whisper.

He takes out another.

"She gave me mine too." He says.

"Have you looked at them?"

"No," he looks down. "I'm scared."

"Why?"

"What if I didn't do anything heroic? What if I'm not guardian worthy?"

I grab his hand and he looks at me. "Malachi," I say. "You don't have to worry. Manny brings us all back when we save someone and die for them."

"What did you do? Who did you save?"

"I saved Jack. Pitch was going to kill him."

He looks at the memories. He nods. Then he let's go of my hand and touches his memories. He looks distant for a few minutes, staring at them. I wait patiently for him to come back. I know that he saved his brother in a fire.

He comes back and blinks at me. I raise my eyebrows. "So?"

He smiles and jumps up. "I had a brother! I saved him!" He grabs my hands and pulls me up and hugs me.

I can't seem to move, he's really strong. He releases me and stares at me. Then he leans in.

I'm shocked. I try to move back.

"Malachi-" he grabs my arm and kisses me.

I hear a door open and footsteps and I'm trying to get out of his grasp but he's a lot stronger than I am. I'm hitting his arm but it doesn't hurt him.

I hear a gasp from behind Malachi.

Malachi suddenly disappears and I fall back on the couch, rubbing my arm. I see Jack standing over Malachi, who's on the ground rubbing his head.

"What's your problem?" He says and stands up.

"Why were you kissing her?" Jack asks.

Malachi smiles and looks at me. "I'm sure she wanted me to," he says.

Jack grabs Malachi by the throat and throws him against a bookshelf. The shelf collapses against his weight. He groans and rolls over.

Jack shakes his head and looks at me. "November," he walks to me. "Are you alright?"

I nod. Malachi groans and starts to get up.

"Come on," Jack says. He wraps his arm around my waist. I glare at Malachi, my memories in my hand and walk out in the hall with Jack.