Out of Mind

Jedi Apprentice AU, some spoilers.
If you are looking for happy endings and fluff, turn away now.
No betas, therefore the errors are all mine.
See chapter one for disclaimers.

P

"Unacceptable."

"Qui-Gon, be reasonable."

"You ask me to stand here and do nothing! How is that reasonable?" Qui-Gon shouted as he stopped his pacing in exasperation. Mace's frown deepened as he regarded his friend, but Yoda remained silent sitting on a small cushion in his quarters, his expression as inscrutable as ever. Only the slight droop of his ears betrayed any of the ancient master's sorrow for the situation.

"We only ask that you consider what is best for Obi-Wan," Mace answered calmly.

"A quick recovery is what is best for him," Qui-Gon countered effortlessly.

"No matter the cost?" the Korun Councilor retorted. The long haired master's eyes narrowed angrily.

"What are you implying, Mace?" he asked, the ire in his voice unmistakable. The Councilor took a deep calming breath before answering. He spoke in measured tones considering his words carefully.

"I am implying that the reason Obi-Wan is in this state is because you often act and speak without considering the consequences to others."

"I would never hurt him..." Qui-Gon started, but Mace would have none of it; his own frustration finally getting the best of him.

"But you have, Qui-Gon... For the love of the Force, how can you not see that?" he yelled. The heat of Qui-Gon's gaze fell abruptly replaced by a deep look of despair and self-loathing.

"I only wanted... I..." the master stammered, but again he was interrupted.

"Exactly, Qui-Gon... you wanted, you needed... but this shouldn't be about you should it?" Mace finished. Qui-Gon hung his head. His body seemed preternaturally still. Several moments of silence passed before he spoke again and when he did his voice was small and uncharacteristically timid.

"So I am to do nothing while he suffers?" he asked. Mace shook his head. His own anger quickly drained away by his compassion.

"We never said that."

"Then what?" Qui-Gon asked a spark of hope in eyes.

"We need to move cautiously. We have no idea what we are truly dealing with."

"But how can we know? Only Obi-Wan can answer that."

"Then answers from him we must get," Yoda suddenly intoned. Mace turned to the elder Jedi with a quizzical expression.

"Master, Obi-Wan is in no condition to..."

"Speak he cannot. Into his mind one must go."

"To enter the mind of a patient in a coma... Master Yoda, it is too dangerous, both to Obi-Wan and to whomever goes in after him."

"Let me," Qui-Gon said, his tone calm, but still shadowed.

"What?" Mace exclaimed, but before he could continue Qui-Gon turned to him, his eyes pleading.

"Let me go. Please..."

"Qui-Gon..."

"The boy's master he is," Yoda interrupted. "Already a bond they have. Easier it would be for both, know that you do."

"Yes, but...," Mace started hesitantly turning from Yoda to Qui-Gon and then to Yoda again. "Forgive me, but if Qui-Gon is the reason Obi-Wan is... as he is... is it wise that he be the one to go into the boy's mind?" he asked Yoda, but it was Qui-Gon who answered.