Chapter Four

Chapter Four 

I followed him back into the dimly lit hallway in cordoned off area of the house. We still heard the music blaring from where the party was still in full swing but it really seemed like they'd gone to great lengths to make sure no one trespassed. I crossed two doors with huge padlocks on them and Kyler noticed my gaze.

"That's my parents' room and the second on is Mason's and they're both pretty protective about their all the shit they've accumulated over the years."

"Not you?"

He shrugged, "I don't really have a lot of my things here. I travel so much, sometimes I think I could fit all my belongings in a single suitcase."

I opened my mouth to ask him what exactly it was that he did which required him to travel so much but thought better of it. Even though as the evening wore on and I started feeling much more comfortable around him it still didn't mean that I could intrude. He seemed a little closed off, always making sure to turn the conversation back to me and I got the hint that personal questions about his life weren't welcome. I decided to ease my way into getting to know him a little better.

"So, you never wanted to go to college?"

He stopped in front of a door right down the hall and unlocked it with a key in his back pocket. I hesitated as he walked inside but as turned the lights on, he beckoned me to come inside.

"I was supposed to go last year after I got my diploma but it didn't work out." His shoulders tensed and I felt terrible for asking. I was grateful for the opportunity to share my burdens with a stranger but maybe he didn't feel the same. He was extremely picky about his words and seemed to force them out rather than wanting to tell me. Still, at least I knew he was around nineteen and that my initial estimation had been correct. I took my time with the next question, studying the utterly feminine room that was all white with accents of pink all around it. It had a massive king sized four poster canopy bed placed in the middle and was completely covered by throw pillows. The bed stood atop a massive faux fur white rug that I was hesitant to even look at, incase that caused it to get dirty. The princess room was wide and airy and with large windows and the most perfect reading nook. Pieces of art, that I knew must have cost an arm and a leg were placed on the walls save for one which had the portrait of a gorgeous blonde looking at the camera over her shoulder, her eyes sparkling with mischief. Those eyes looked familiar and I bet she was the sister he'd mentioned earlier.

Kyler came to stand next to me as I stared at the photograph, "That's my older sister Isabelle, she's currently living in New York."

"Why do you all look like you should be on the cover of Vogue or something?" I tilted my head, trying to find a flaw but wow, every member of this family I'd come across until know was absolutely stunning. I didn't even want to know what their parents looked like.

Next to me Kyler stiffened, making me wonder if I'd said the wrong thing. But then his face broke out into a big smile. "Are you trying to tell me that you think I'm good looking?"

I rolled my eyes, but on the inside my body sagged with relief that I hadn't upset him. "Please, it's not like you need another testimonial. Surely, you'd know that..."

"That what?" He cut me off and walked closer, "I don't care about the others. I'd like to hear your opinion?"

I felt a little breathless, maybe a lot but the thing with guys as good looking as Kyler Blackwell was that you shoulder never feed their ego. Of course they know they're handsome but if you give them the slightest impression that they made you weak kneed and a little crazy, they wouldn't give you the time of the day. But I wasn't interested in games or playing hard to get and had a troublesome tendency to be annoyingly honest most of the time.