Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Only choice is an oxymoron, strangely that's what I ponder as I follow Kyler back into the shark infested waters. How can something be a choice yet resemble a noose hanging over your head? Whoever coined the term really missed the mark on this one. I don't feel like I'm choosing anything as I let Kyler take charge and lay down the law in front of his manager and publicist, both of whom look like they wished I'd crawl right back into the country bumpkin I crawled out of.

Too bad folks, I'm trusting the two timing, cheating, lying son of a former supermodel on this one. These are his people, this is his world and a teeny tiny piece of me still thinks he's more reliable than the corporate slaves he's brought with him.

"So here's the game plan Julie, we're going to have to axe the previous game plan." Kyler's voice is firm and confident. It's not a suggestion, clearly an order from someone used to making his own rules and I can't believe I didn't see it sooner. Kyler Blackwell possesses an aura of power and absolute confidence that teenage boys very rarely have. In fact even as I refer to him as a boy in my head I know I'm very, very wrong. I might still be a girl who enjoys the occasional Disney Karaoke night at DeeDee's but he's all man. I should have picked it up the night at his house, the way he carried himself, the way he spoke, the way he moved and...the way he touched me. He didn't fumble once, no nerves, nothing that would speak of inexperience. Now that I know who his girlfriend is, I don't have to think a lot about how much more experienced he is compared to me.

I'd laugh if the atmosphere weren't so tense.

"With all due respect Mr. Blackwell, I've looked at every way this can be spun and have arrived at the conclusion that the only way to get the media off your back is..."

"Harrison, with due respect we're going to have find another way out of this."

Julie pinches her nose, muttering something about brats and throws a rather withering look my way. I shuffle behind Kyler because frankly I've had my ego bruised enough for the day and she looks like she's about to be vicious.

"Please do tell Kyler, what is the genius out of the box idea that you've come up that won't make it look like you cheated on America's sweetheart? Teenage girls everywhere hate your guts right now and do you know what their weapon of choice is?"

I think we both shake our heads.

"The goddamn Internet Kyler! They won't let you live this one down, they'll harass you and troll you and you'll be reduced to nothing but a hashtag before your movie even begins filming. Do you think the producers will want to work with you in that kind of environment? Let me spell it out for you, NO. Everyone thinks Alyssa's the victim here, she's the one who got her heat broken and suddenly everyone loves her but you..."

"I want to issue an apology, I want to tell the fans exactly what happened and..."

"Kyler you know you can't. Don't be stupid, you've signed a contract."

A contract that stops him from apologising? Huh, Hollywood is strange.

"I won't be doing anything that violates it. Alyssa and I haven't been seen together in weeks. Everyone's already speculating whether we're together or not and between that and everything going on in my life...of course I was seeking solace in my childhood sweetheart. We were close friends when we were younger and things couldn't develop because I moved away but me being back here meant that we rekindled our relationship. It won't be considered cheating because Alyssa and I never confirmed anything, isn't this the tension and realness in our relationship that the studio wanted? It could completely work."