Epilogue

Late Spring y381 in Brightway, Dawn

To Guy and Alys Banks

Of Brightway, Dawn

(Yes that's the only address I have!

No, don't go noting that down!

By the virtues, give it here I'll do it.)

Dear Mam and father,

I know it's been a long time since we have heard from each other. I should have written earlier, should have kept in touch. Though I suppose it's a little difficult on the road. However, I hope this finds you well.

There's so much I want to say, to tell you. Though first, I should really apologise for running away the way I did. I know you both only wanted what was best for me and a day doesn't go by when I don't regret what I did. Yes, I made it to Urizen, I became a healer but after the things I have witnessed over the past few years I've come to realise that nothing is more important than family. I guess back then I was naive, believing the world was a nicer place than it is.

Currently, I'm travelling to Anvil with the Lady D'Alba for the Spring Equinox. I've actually never been to Anvil but I remember the stories you both told me growing up. I'm looking forward to visiting there.

Afterwards, I'm coming home to Brightway. I can understand if the two of you cannot forgive me for what I did and the hurt I must have caused. But, at the very least, I want to continue my training to be a full Physick there and in Astolat to be close to my family.

I must go now, Solene is huffing at me to hurry up. I hope to see you both very soon.

Much love.

Rhoswyn

Alys Bank stares at the letter in her hand, unable to stop herself from rereading it - fearful that it is a fake, a dream, a hallucination. For seven long years, neither she nor her husband has heard from their daughter since the night she ran off into the darkness to pursue some career in the arts of healing, without a second glance. In the long years since, Alys was sure she was dead, any hope otherwise long gone, though she hadn't been able to stop listening for news whenever she went into town.

Yet, beyond any hope or dream, here is actual proof that Rhoswyn is alive, safe and well. Has even achieved what she set out to do seven years ago.

And now Rhoswyn is coming home.

Alys can't help but smile, choked with happy tears. Only the news is singed with sadness, Alys wishing her husband had lived long enough to see his daughter home again. But her daughter is coming home.

A knock on the door makes Alys jump. Could that be Rhoswyn? She glances at the letter again. It was written before the Spring Equinox, that has been some time ago now. That knock on the door could very well be Rhoswyn.

Alys jumps to her feet, almost knocking back her chair, her heart pounding in anticipation; in excitement. How would Rhoswyn look? Would she be the same as she had been seven years ago? Alys doubts it, seven years was a long time and if Rhoswyn had been travelling the Empire...

She reaches the door, pausing as she spots banners through the window. Banners of blue, white and gold - House D'Alba colours, flapping gently in the late spring breeze. Rhoswyn mentioned travelling with D'Abla's earl, perhaps the Lady Solene has sent a retinue to see Rhoswyn home.