Fire

"I wish to die. Will you kill me?"

I stared at the short shapeless red head before me. My quick scrutiny was brief but thorough. I took in her pale freckled complexion and her overbright green eyes. Drugs? I couldn't say. But what I could say, I did.

"Kill yourself."

I stepped back and moved to shut the door in her face.

"Don't you fucking shut the door on me!"

The sheirking wail only made me slam it shut harder. I shook off the cold shudder that ran down my spine.

You would think I would have gotten used to such requests by now. I get such requests often enough...roughly once a week. You see I was an assassin.

It was not whom I am only what I did.

Everyone had to earn a living somehow and I was chosen to become an assassin. It had seemed like the only available option at the time. For not only had I just completed my first kill albeit somewhat involuntarily. But I was also on the run from the law. Stealing from a secured vault was not the smartest thing to do but that was what I had been doing when a security guard had not responded to the sleeping gas as he should and I had no choice but to pull the damn trigger.

I have regretted that act ever since. Especially on days like this when I get fed-up junkies pounding on my front door with a death wish on their minds.

I moved through the bare space that was my home and onto the outer deck that faced my own private paradise in the midst of this concrete jungle. The lush green ferns surrounding the  expensive koi fish pond. Stripping the shirt off my back I tossed it onto the outdoor chaise. Then dropping my pants and boxers I dived headfirst into the clear blue sunken pool. Surging up with a powerful kick back I shifted into a swift stroke for stroke over head surging powerfully through the cold water across the length of the pool. I completed my usual ten laps before I was convinced I was sufficiently exhausted to forget my day and get a good night’s rest.

Pulling myself out of the water I strode buck naked and dripping water to my out door stock of clean towels. Grabbing one I rubbed dry then tossed it onto the chassis.

Exhausted and hungry I went to the kitchen and whipped up some scrambled eggs and toast. Then still hungry I called out for my usual Chinese takeouts.

Grabbing a cool lager I tossed my naked ass in front of the tv and with a deep breath I switched on the news to study the effects of my handy work that day.