Sounds Intense

'Mr. Linton,' Mr. Ambrose said cooly from the door that linked our offices, 'how kind of you to join me today. Better late than never.'

Is that sarcasm? Did Mr. Ambrose just wasted his precious time and saliva trying to be funny? He was learning a thing or two with me!

'Good morning, Sir! Feeling good today, I see.'

As a response I got arctic-cold silence and disconcerting sea-coloured gaze digging down the darkest corners of my mind.

Thank Goodness he couldn't know what I was hiding there!

'I need you to pack up, we're leaving tomorrow, six am sharp.' He informed me coolly, without a single pause to breathe.

'What? And you tell me this just now? I don't know if you are aware but I've got a sister that I've got to take care of and a aunt who is growing suspicious of my frequent disappearances.' One of his eyebrows raised infinitesimally and his mouth opened as if to say something, but I didn't allow him. 'Not everyone can just cut out their relationship with their family like you did, and live their lives as they please, sir.'

This made his little finger twitch, and his gaze get eighty seven percent colder than it already was, which means, around one hundred and forty three degrees below zero.

'My personal life and what I do with it is none of your concern and I advise you not to mention it again or you won't find the consequences of such action pleasing.' The threat in his voice was evident, and that sent a shiver down my back. But in the blink of an eye he was himself again, cold, expressionless, walking stone. 'And if you do not wish to come, Mr. Linton, you don't have to. I'll make sure Mr. Stone has your resignation papers ready before I depart.'

Of course! Blast him!

If not for my extreme necessity of independence and solid chocolate I wouldn't join him in his senseless, not to mention dangerous trips.

Is that so, dear Lillly?

I'm doing it for the independence and the solid chocolate.

Nothing else.

Not because of all the good memories you've got from past travels with your dear employee either, I suppose, right?

Independence and solid-chocolate.

And kisses.

'Oh shut up!' I muttered under my breath, how do I turn this inconvenient little voice of mine off?

'Excuse me?' Mr. Ambrose abruptly stopped in his tracks and looked down at me, fiercely. 'What did you just say?'

Blast you, that's what I wanted to say! Go to hell and have fun in there. I hope there's someone with the exclusive mission of keep tickling you for the eternity.

Although I suspect he's immune to tickling. 

'I asked where are we going, Sir.' I said with a grin.

'Yes, you surely did, Mr. Linton. We're going to Portugal.'

Ah yes. I could efficiently use the extensive vocabulary of curse words I learned in our trip to Brazil plus it isn't very far away. I could do well with a trip, on second thought.

'Doing what, if I may ask, Sir?'

'You may not, Mr. Linton, now back to work. Bring me file 534B.'

'Yes, Sir. Immediately, Sir.'

I got the file and brought it to him. Then another, then another. Then another. While my back and forth between his and my office, I tried to come up with a decent justification for my absence at home.