Secret Revellers

My mind froze the moments of last night in my brain, so when I woke up those were the first thing that crossed my mind. The crashing of lips, gentle touches, messed breathings and soft noises.

I was enjoying it so much I didn't even noticed the knocks on the door.

They weren't impatient and neither sure, so I knew it wasn't Mr. Ambrose on the other side.

Or perhaps...

I could doubt it after last night.

I got up and went to open the door, still too sleepy not to bang against some of the furniture.

'Miss Linton, good morning dear. I'm sorry to wake you up, but Mr. Ambrose requested me to call you, I think you just made your departure be delayed. And as you probably know, he's not very pleased.'

Lady Abbott said too many words in the same sentence for me to understand at this time of the morning, but I got the basics: I'm late. Mr. Ambrose is mad.

'What time is it?'

The woman eyed the huge watch at the end of the hall.

'Almost a quarter past eleven, Miss.'

What?

We were supposed to leave more than two hours ago.

'Where is he?'

I got out of the room in my night-gown, and headed to his room, knocked twice and got in without even receiving an answer, closing the door behind me.

His attention snapped and he glanced at me, wide eyed, an expression of horror plastered in his face.

'What are you doing in my room dressed like that?'

I think he meant undressed like that, but I got it!

'I didn't come to invite you to help me dress, don't worry. We were supposed to leave two hours ago, why didn't we?'

His mouth opened, as to say something, then closed, then opened again and closed once more.

'Uh... because you were sleeping, and... uhm I thought I should let you...'

'As much as I would like it, you cannot change that much in a night. Why?'

He gave me a dismissive wave, got up and got himself busy, focusing on everything but me.

'I'm your employer, I don't owe you any explanation, you, on other hand, do.'

'You also overslept, didn't you?'

The book he absently held fell from his hands.

'W-what? Of course not Mr. Linton, quit with the nonsense.'

A smiled spread on my face. We were making improvements after all!

I left the doorway where I was leaning against and walked to where he was. I want to see his face with my own two eyes.

'Tell me Mr. Ambrose, what cause you to oversleep?'

A low growl came from his throat and he blurted some words too, but they were imperceptible.

'What was it?'

'Go dress yourself Miss Linton, we need to leave.'

I wasn't getting anything out of him, but I didn't needed to, I knew the reason. Only the two of us did.

'You can't always control everything that happens, you know, but that's alright. Life is only fun if you get some surprises once in a while.'

'I could try, but not with you around. You always get in the way of everything and I end up not being able to control anything. Nor you. And sometimes neither me.'