A ball

"Lillian? Where were you? This will have consequences! But not now, get ready fast! We'll leave in 30 minutes."
As always I am greeted with a lovely smile, a hug and the question "How was your day?"
No,of course not.
It's my aunt, a cold with a heartless look.
As you can see, I love her and she loves me. The only problem? She wants to marry us off. Yes! How absurd, right? But my sisters and I don't really have a chance.
Now knowing that there will be a ball  I go up the stairs but sounding like an angry bull, ready to kill someone rather than a young woman.
Entering the room I see Ella.
My lovely sister who is sadly deeply in love with our neighbour.
Why can't she be more like me?
You aren't better, Lilly! May I remind you: cold, blue eyes, looking like a god?!
Blast! I'm going insane!
Me and feelings? Never!

30 minutes later I'm dressed up, even with a tolerable hair style, thanks to my little sister. Now we, my aunt, my 4 sisters and I, are arriving at Miss Metcalfs ball. Or was it Met.... who cares anyways.
The servants help us as we arrive and in no time we enter the ball room.
Loud voices, music... I think it's a polka! And dancing couples followed by a sweet smell...
SOLID CHOCOLATE.
As subtle as possible I leave my family behind and search for the nearest refreshing table.
As soon as I see the solid gold I can't help myself but enjoy the sweets.
Why can't I just marry chocolate? Would be way easier for me.
As soon as I turn around I catch my aunt's eye.
Blast!
I will have to dance or she won't let me inside the house today.
And as (un)lucky I was, a man,maybe a lieutenant, came towards me.
"Good evening Miss. May I ask you for a dance?"
I plastered on the best fake smile I had.
"It's a pleasure."
Dance after dance.
Man after man.
Are they hunting me today?
Just as I search for a plant to hide behind a loud  knock interrupts the ball and it's suddenly silent.
"Lord Dalgliesh has arrived."
"Thank you for inviting me. I always enjoy your lovely balls", he smiles at that old lady and she melts away.
Who is this man? And why does he seem so familiar to me?
I follow him with my eyes as he starts talking to others. He seems important and ....
Attractive? Yes, he does.
Suddenly,as if he heard my little voice, his eyes catch mine.
I can't help but blush. Maybe I stared too much(me). I turn away and look for a plant or a big man. I'll take anything as long as I can hide behind it!
I feel a hand on my shoulder.
Blast!
"Excuse me,Miss?"
BLAST!
It's him!
Slowly I turn around.
"May I introduce myself. Lord Dalgliesh and you are?"
"L..Lillian Linton."
Did you just stutter?
He bows and shows me a big smile.
"What a pleasure to meet you. May I dance with you, Miss?"
I smiled and nodded, unable to say a word.
While he led me to the dance rows I was confused.
What does a man like him want from me?
We start to dance and I don't speak. I'm way to concentrated to not step on his feet.
"Miss Lillian? May I ask you something?"
"Of course,my Lord."
"How does it come that a beautiful young woman like you were alone, without a partner to dance?", he asks, smiling like the sun. I can't help but blush even more.
"I must say,my Lord. Men are mostly not that interested in me. I'm just an average young girl."
"I don't think so. You are beautiful. You seem like a unique flower under all this woman here tonight. My eyes had no chance but see you. "
Okay,Lilly,stay calm. Don't melt. He's just a man. You're a feminist. You don't want a man! And pray he isn't like our old friend Flip.
"Thank you, my Lord. You really  know how to compliment a woman. "
I know it's rude to not look in someone's face whilst having a conversation but I...
Stop being so dramatic! Your aunt will kill you if she finds out that you didn't act ladylike! And you are a feminist! Act like one!
I collect all my courage and look up.
BLAST!
How can he have his eyes?!
Dark blue, like the ocean.
But they seem so much more... alive? Yes... like he has emotions?
Not everyone is as cold as stone as your employer.
And now he's looking rather confused because I look at him as if he is a cow with two heads.
"Is everything alright, Miss Linton?"
"Yes, um... I was just ... admiring your eye colour. I've never seen such blue eyes", I mutter as I feel my cheeks reddening once again.
How can I compare him to him?
He's so different, so charming, so nice and respectful and his eyes....
He's showing that he likes  you! You could wait for 1000 years for your employer to slightly show something like that besides sexual attraction.
My little voice is right. In the end Mr. Ambrose only showed that he was sexually interested but not emotionally.... My heart hurts a little bit at that thought. Maybe I wasn't right all along and he was just like that. Cold. Distant. Emotionless.
-------

He laughs and as I look up again his eyes change... they seem warmer.
His eyes are so beautiful
"I must say people told me many things. But no one ever said something like that before. Miss Linton, I thought you were unique and I truly think you are", his look gets intense as if he tried to memorize my face," and I think you are worth it."
I look at him, slightly confused.
"Worth what?"
"Worth seeing you again."
"You want to be.... my suitor?"
"Yes, that's the word I was looking for."
I stopped abruptly, surprising him and the couples dancing around us.
"You... you want me to be your wife?"
He smiles once again.
Blast! When doesn't he smile?
"Yes Miss Linton", he says and takes my hand, making me feel hot.
He kisses it and even through my gloves I can feel the warmth of his lips.
"I must leave now but I will visit you soon enough."
He bows elegantly, turns around swiftly and leaves.
What was that?  I don't know
Was I attracted by him? Yes
And when will be soon?
If only I knew how soon that soon would be.

1122 words