T H R E E

I left school early, I always do on Thursdays, to go for a checkup.

I got in my moms car and we drove to the hospital, I lay on the hospital bed while they conducted multiple tests.

My mother held my hand the whole time, even though I was barely conscious.

When we left, a smiling nurse came with a wheelchair and helped me into it.

My mom drove us home, I fell asleep while I was under the effect of the drugs they gave me.

She woke me up when we got home, everything was so hazy and blurry, my eyes fogged over and I hugged the railing to help myself get up the stairs, and to my bedroom.

I flopped on my bed and reached over to the oxygen tank that I keep in my room and exchanged the tube from my transportable oxygen tank, and lay in bed, and let the effect of the painkillers take over.

I slept, I dreamed dreams that I knew I wouldn't remember, but this time they weren't nightmares, they were the nicest dreams I've had, because this time I didn't wake up shaking and covered in sweat.

I rolled over and swung my legs over the edge of the bed, I fixed my cannula and walked to the stairs, to where the smell of food was coming from.

JiHyun was cooking something, and it smelt amazing. "JiHyun, what are you cooking?" My word came out slurred and distorted, I was still under the effect of multiple painkillers. He laughed, it was such a pure sound, "I'm making kimchi, would you like some?" He asked, "Yesss pleaaase!" I slurred and went to walk down the rest of the stairs. "No, you stay up there, I'll bring you food." He said sternly. "Okayyyyy" I said and walked back into my room, and sat on my bed, and pulled out my book and carried on reading.

The plot carried me away into a universe where people didn't step on a stupid clear tube that I had to wear to live until JiHyun bought me my kimchi,which I ate messily, and fell asleep once I had finished.

-362 words