A Letter of Resignation

Draco sat on his bed with a fresh quill and clean piece of parchment in his lap. He still hadn't replied to his father, but he couldn't find the right words. He looked at his waste basket, it was overflowing with discarded attempts. Draco sighed and looked back at the parchment, "Damn it." he muttered.

"What's wrong?" Blaise Zabini walked into the room and sat at the foot of Draco's bed.

Draco rubbed his eyes, "Nothing, just struggling with a letter."

"Letter to who?"

"My father."

"Oh," Blaise looked at the discarded letters and signed, "Mate, you don't have to talk to him."

"Man, you sound like-" he cut himself off and stared back down at the parchment in front of him. 

"Just like who? Mystery boyfriend?"

Draco choked, "Excuse me?"

Blaise laughed, "You know what I'm talking about, don't try to lie."

Draco rolled his eyes, "Fine, yes, that's who you sound like."

Blaise smiled, "So, who is he?"

"I don't think you're going to find out anytime soon, we're keeping it quiet. Could you imagine the press?"

"Yeah, whatever." Baise rolled his eyes, "So, I'm guessing Boyfriend isn't too thrilled with the fact that you're talking to your father."

"Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly talking to my father. He sent me a letter, and I've been avoiding the reply."

Blaise grabbed a couple of the crumpled letters from the waste bin, "How many letters are there in here?"

Draco sighed, "Too many."

"Are they all to your father?" Draco nodded, as Blaise looked through the letters, "Why don't you write to your mother instead? You're much closer to her, maybe she'll be easier to talk to."

"Yeah, maybe." Draco composed a new letter while Blaise looked through he previous attempts. 

Mother,

I hope you're doing well. Things at school are good, I still have one of the highest marks in the class and my health is excellent. 

I wanted to apologize to you for the events of the summer. I can't disclose what exactly happened, but rest assured, it had nothing to do with you, although I cannot say the same for Father. Against Father's wishes, I will not be returning home in the foreseeable future. The events of this past summer could prove dangerous to the parties involved if that information was to become public, and the best way I can protect those parties is to keep it private. 

I need to stay away from Father for as long as possible, and unfortunately that means that you and I will need to keep some distance as well. But, I need to become my own man, and my plan to do just that involves forgetting the old Malfoy family traditions and values, and making my own choices. I never wanted to continue Father's work, but the way I'm going, I fear I would have had no choice in the matter, now is the time to change that. I will continue with my schooling and graduation with the grades required to become anything I want. At current time, I want to be a healer. I'm tired watching people get hurt, and I'm finally going to do something about it.

I'm sorry that this is how you had to find out, and I'm sorry that I can't tell you all this in person, but this is safer for everyone. I'd like to tell you more, but I don't trust the post these days. Stay safe, be careful.

Love, Your Son 

"Done." Draco folded the letter and slipped it into an envelope, "Hopefully this get's to her safely."