05

↠ m a r y k a t e ↠

"What are you kids doing in here?"

We're caught. It's over. Our ten minutes of fun and pastel icing is long gone.

We all turn to see a man standing at the cafeteria doorway; thankfully not Mr. Henry. It's a janitor, coming in here to clean. Nonetheless, his eyes our wide and I know we're in trouble.

"I said, what are you kids doing in here?" he repeats, giving us a look. I stay still - maybe if I don't move he won't see me.

Quinn chuckles, turning around to face the group of us. She seems the least bit disturbed by all of this. Figures - she's the queen of trouble. Someone give her a crown or something.

She mouths, "Let me handle this," to us, and we all nod, slowly. Quinn walks over to the man, not even caring about the pink icing on her face or in her hair. She's completely oblivious to everything.

"Hi there. Mr. - er..." she shoots us a look because it's obvious she has no fuckin' clue what any teachers names are because she's just the kind of the girl who wouldn't know.

"Henry!" I shout, and Quinn gives me a quick half - smile before turning back around.

"Right, Mr. Henry told us there were some cupcakes that needed to be taste-tested down here, so we followed directions and came down here, to, y'know, eat cupcakes. And then this kid -" she stops to point to Luke and give him a scowl which he kindly returns, "decides to throw a cupcake in my face, like, the nerve of him! So, naturally, I smash a cupcake in his face as well. Because revenge is great. And then he decides to throw a cupcake at him and then everything just goes haywire and boom - all out food fight mini war. We're really sorry for making the cafeteria messy, but it's techinally not our fault - it's his."

More accusing fingers pointed at Luke. He just grimaces at Quinn and nonchalantly flips her off.

The janitor just stands there, taking in everything Quinn just said. I try to read his facial expression and figure out if he realizes we're lying or not.

"Well in that case...why don't I go ask Mr. Henry to confirm this information?" He says, tapping his foot against the ground. With that, we all move a couple steps forward, a chorus of 'no's!' escaping our lips. Quinn shoots us a look because we just gave ourselves away, but we couldn't risk the janitor telling Mr. Henry. He'll be dragging us by the hair behind our ears to the room and have the baby movie on in no time.

"Okay - okay, listen, Mr. Janitor. We're the detention kids, but they hardly give us any food in there! We're at detention for seven hours and all they expect us to eat is the bagged lunch we brought? So we came down here to find food and then - well, you know the rest.." She points to the icing in her hair.

The janitor ponders over what she said for a minute. "Okay, but give me one good reason why I shoukd not go tell Mr. Henry that you're in the cafeteria right now."

"He's gonna make us watch a baby being born!" I yell from across the room.

"He'll manslaughter us!" Michael shouts as well.

An accidental laugh bubbles out of everyone's lips at Michael's comment, and he smiles proudly. The janitor is still standing there sternly, probably planning our murder.

"...You kids stay here while I go tell Mr. Henry." He turns to walk out the door when Quinn chases him and stops right in front of the door.

She whispers something to him and slips him a ten dollar bill, a devious smile lingering on her face. Of course, she's bribing him. Her last resort is to bribe him with money. Well played, Quinn, well played.