The Fiesta

Many of the tribes in Pyrrhia were known for certain things. Sandwings, for instance, were known for being the biggest tribe and the biggest kingdom, but also for their musical ability and moon festivals. Rainwings were known for their venom and their hidden village, but also for their parties. Fiestas, they were called. Some rainwings were hesitant when Glory became queen because they didn't want to see their beloved parties taken away, but Glory had grown to love them. The fiestas were random and spontaneous, but amazing. The whole tribe would come and dance, musicians would play all night if they were asked. Between the fiestas and Glory and Deathbringer's singing, it was no wonder Joy grew up loving music. 

Very few Nightwings were ever invited to the fiestas, and no member outside of those two tribes had ever seen one, until now. Glory thought it would be good to break the walls keeping the tribes separate, so she announced that there would be a fiesta, not just for the Rainwings, but for any dragon that wished to come. It was for this reason that Clay and Air flew to the rainforest. And Air specifically "forgot" to tell Nightflyer she was coming.

Joy lunged at her friend the moment her feet touched the ground. 

"You're here!" Joy yelled. Air grinned. It was nice to see her friend again. 

"Hi Air," Rainkeeper offered, greeting her more gently than Joy had.

 "Come on, you have to say hi to Moon!" Joy continued, dragging her friend into the forest. Air shot her dad an apologetic look as she ran off. 

"Air!" Moon cried as she hugged the hybrid. 

"Hey Moon!" Air greeted her. Suddenly, Joy pulled them both into the trees.

 "Nightflyer is over there," Joy said deviously. "You should go say hi." Air shoved her friend with a smirk before walking back into the village. Sure enough, there he was. Nightflyer was standing over a small table, his back to her. Firefly spotted her first and grinned, pretending to not have seen her. Air creeped up right behind him and tried to keep a straight face. 

"Hi Nightflyer." she said calmly. 

As someone spoke, Nightflyer's heart jumped a mile. There was only one dragon in Pyrrhia with a voice as pretty as that. He whipped around and his face lit up. 

"Air!" he yelled, barreling into her. On the edge of the forest, Joy and Moon burst out laughing. 

"Shut up!" Air warned them.

 "What are you doing here?" Nightflyer asked in a delighted voice, a goofy smile spreading across his face like pink in a rainwing's scales.

 "I came for the fiesta," she explained. "I didn't tell you cause I wanted it to be a surprise." 

"Well, it definitely worked."

That Night...

It was fiesta time, and there wasn't a single unhappy dragon in the room. Rainkeeper grinned proudly, seeing has he had persuaded Pear to come with him. She eyed the room nervously at first, but then relaxed. Every time someone knew arrived though, she would jump. Strange, Rainkeeper thought with a shrug. Pear was a mystery, but he liked trying to figure her out. He glanced around the room, spotting some of the friends Joy had made during their last year at school. Moon was talking with that Sandwing, Qibli? Was that his name?, Seashell was talking with Kinkajou about something while Joy sat at one of the tables with Air, Nightflyer, and Kelp. The music started up and dragons took to the floor, Air and Nightflyer among them. 

"Hey Rainy?" Pear asked with a smile. Whatever it was, Rainkeeper knew he would agree. Her smile had a strange hold on him. "Wanna dance?" 

"You bet." he replied, taking one of her talons in his. As they spun around on the floor, Rainkeeper noticed something odd. Joy wasn't dancing. Joy never missed a dance, even the slow ones that she didn't have a partner for. He  spotted his sister where he had originally seen her, sitting at a table with Kelp. They were laughing and Joy wasn't even tapping her talons to the music like she always did. That was weird. 

The night went on with dance after dance. Air swayed along to nearly all of them, content to stay in Nightflyer's arms, no matter what song was playing. He made stupid jokes and she laughed for no reason. There was this warm safe feeling with him and she just wanted to keep it forever. As the last dance of the night ended, Nightflyer pulled her aside and whispered into her ear. Air grinned and agreed, sending him off with a smile on his face. 

"What did he ask you?" Joy questioned. 

"He wants to meet me on one of the rainwing platforms later," Air explained. "Apparently he has something to show me." 

"I already want all the details and it hasn't even happened yet." Moon exclaimed. 

"Tell all tomorrow, okay?"Joy begged. Air nodded in agreement. 

"Air," Clay called. "Time to say goodnight." 

"Coming!" Air insisted, smiling at the very thought of what Nightflyer could be planning.