Being Plunged into Darkness

NK POV
I am unable to comprehend what I just saw on my laptop a moment ago. I am a very jolly and extrovert person. I am never the one who keeps things bottled up for long. That has never been my style. But today I feel like being silent. Because I have no words to say. Can I apologize to Khushiji...No No...I simply cannot. Even though I am the last person, practically the least guilty of all, however today it seems even the word sorry has lost its value.

Location: Sydney,Australia. 10 minutes ago I was feeling all bored. To kill the time I thought why not see the marriage video of my brother and sister in law (Akash and Payal). I fast forwarded the video to see the moments when Akash and Harjayeji took their pheras you know. But by mistake I fast forwarded the video to the moment where on that very day I had left the camera on the terrace. I came back later to collect it too. But that was when Nannav and Khushiji eloped and announced their marriage. That was a very bad day for all of us. Disappointment and unhappiness was what we all felt due to their irresponsible behavior.
But what stopped me in mid thoughts was a scene that made everything crystal clear for me. The camera was at such an angle that everyone could see what Shyam jeeju said to Khushiji. Also how Nannav my brother came at a wrong moment. Listened to a few words....incomplete truth and leaving the place in halfway of the conversation.

I know ASR very well. It took me only seconds to realise what would have been running in his mind. He misunderstood that his lady love and beloved brother in law were having an extramartial affair. He must have wanted his Di's happiness and there was only one idea to make things work after her pregnancy announcement. Making a deal with Khushiji. Rather than clearing away the misunderstanding, his brother must have forced the innocent child like woman to marry him. It would have reminded him of his past, his father's betrayal.

Both Nannav and Khushiji lost their love that day, thats for sure.
It has been 4 months since the dual wedding. I have to go back. They need me. My egoist brother, my special friend and my sister. India here I come.

Arnav POV:
What the hell...when will this torture end. I hate this girl. She is nothing but a cheap, gold digger and characterless girl. She betrayed my sister. She deserves to rot in this house. Everyday I make sure that she gets hurts either physically or emotionally. She deserves it. But why do I feel hurt by doing so. Her pain & tears cuts my heart. This is my punishment for loving a woman like her.

HP walks in to inform me that Di wants me to come downstairs. I cannot deny her any request, especially in her pregnant condition. So, I swallow all my anger and hatred and join everyone downstairs. She(my dear wife) is also their. Pretending to be all caring and loving. Making my family laugh with her silly antics. All drama. Who does not love the position of being Mrs ASR for 6 months.

And that snake Shyam is sitting right next to my sweet sister who has no idea what a crap of a husband he is. She now feels complete as a woman. She dreams of a perfect family with him. But how do I tell my Di about this person. This venom filled creature whom she worships to death, is a cheat. At times I feel so helpless. There is nothing I can do to undo it. If only I had done some background check in those initial days, when this disgusting human being Shyam started courting her. No I cannot loose control of the situation. I have already married Khushi to stop her from snatching away my sister's world. Once my nephew/niece is born things will become better. Its just a matter of 2 more months. And then I will get rid of both Shyam & Khushi.

What brought me back from my thoughts was the fact that NK is back from Australia again. He wants us to watch Payash wedding video again. And I have to bear all this for Di. She should be happy always. So here I am sitting in the living room with my family. Pretending to be all happy and jolly. While my insides are hurting from all the hurt and anger.

Lights turn down and the video starts.

The scene that gave me chills. That moment on terrace when my heart broke into pieces came alive again. But this time...this time the perspective had changed. What I saw from my own eyes that uneventful day..was wrong. It was completely wrong. She was not guilty. She was never wrong. Her tears, her pain, her confusion, her sadness and that look of betrayal...all were true.

"I love you Khushiji. Only you. Not Ranisaheba."
"If you dont love Anjaliji...Why are you with her?"
"Leave her?"

The words that haunted me every single day were nowhere close to the truth. I heard an incomplete conversation and left. I judged her for all the wrong reasons. She was right. She was right all along. I am a monster...a cruel monster. Rakshas thats what I am.

I am numb. Completely shocked. Silence...prolonged silence. Thats all I feel. The video has stopped. But my focus and attention is somewhere-else. Flashbacks...hurtful and painful memories...me asking Khushi for a contract marriage as a blackmail....manipulating her...her eyes begging for understanding what was running in my mind..her tears...her agreement for the 6 months deal...her humiliation...her pain when she was slapped and insulted by everyone...continuous taunts and hurtful words of my family...her tears & pain...again and again asking why I made her an orphan again...me throwing her out of the room...sleeping at the poolside in the cold weather...me manhandling her time and again...hurting her in every possible way with my heartbreaking and hurtful words...her care and love when I was sick, her never to die without fighting attitude inspite of my continuous taunts...my deep cutting words about her family, class and poor living conditions...all my attempts to kill her live and healthy spirit....NO NO...NO NO NO...this is worst...this is bad...very bad...WHAT HAVE I DONE TO THE ONLY PERSON WHO I LOVED...OH GOD!

All my family stood up when the lights were turned on. And what hurt me was her broken expression. Khushi looked at the floor. Tears visible in her eyes. She looked like an abandoned child. All alone in the world. This angel who deserves to be worshipped for never leaving my Di's side. The person who slapped Shyam that disgusting vile being for being disloyal to my sister. She is now standing as if everyone would punish her. Why is she so good? Why?