finale- part one

Today's the day.

Wednesday.

Today is the day that Pete finishes packing up his life and leaves me. He told me his flight leaves at 8:36pm.

Today is cold. It's May, which means the sky should be a vivid blue and the temperature should reach up to eighty degrees. The sun should be shining down on us in the blisteringly hot weather.

But instead the sky is filled with dark, angry clouds and every breath lets out a puff of smoke into the frosty air.

The weather is very fitting with the mood. Me, Brendon, Pete, and Ryan sit in my room silently.

I think we're all reflecting. The air is tense in our little circle on the carpet and we're all studying the ground.

I'm thinking about the past week, and how I've felt pure bliss just being with my three other companions. The last few days before Pete's departure were filled with hours at the park, picnics, Brendon fitting an all time high of sixty peas in his mouth, and bowling.

It's been amazing.

And now it's all over.

It's currently 4:23pm. Pete needs to leave my house at 5 if he wants to have enough time to get back home, finish packing, and make his way to the airport.

Thirty-seven minutes.

Travis is home as well, so we're substantially more quiet to avoid being yelled at by the jackass.

Brendon is the first to break the long silence. "So this is it."

Pete nods. "It's been a blast, guys. I can't thank you enough for everything you've done for me."

I don't speak. I know that if I try do, I'll just burst into tears.

No tears, Pete had said last night over text. I responded with, no promises.

But I'll try my best, just because he asked for me to. I rapidly blink away the moisture in my eyes.

Ryan reaches over and pats Pete on the arm. "You're a great guy, Pete. We're gonna miss the hell out of you, without a doubt."

"I'll try to visit as much as I can. Maybe twice a year," He explains. "It's not that much, but at least it's something."

"Keep in contact with us, Pete. You have my number," Brendon tells him, "Text me when you're in town."

"Sure thing," Pete promises.

Eventually, after an enormous amount of hugs and some tears from Brendon, the other two boys exit the house so that me and Pete can have some time alone before he leaves. I remember to snatch something from Brendon's backpack before he walks out, giving him a quick nod and a wink. He nods back. Nobody says anything about the interaction.

4:40pm.

Me and Pete sit on the edge of my bed together. I take a deep breath and scratch the side of my head awkwardly. "Sorry for holding a grudge on you for like three years in a row."

Pete chuckles and rests his hand on my thigh to calm me. "Sorry for stealing Brendon from you," He apologizes.

"Too late to go back now," I say.