Burnt Cupcakes

[WOW THIS BITCH LONGGGG

about 2560 words... yeet

college au i guess also with sexual references but not actual smut aight thank u bye]

[also the title is so corny and irrelevant like byeeeee]

The fire alarm in your building went off it 11:45pm, after you had already washed your face and changed into your pajamas. You and the rest of the residents rushed out into the quad, some still wide awake but most tired and disgruntled from being forced out into the winter cold. You figured it had to be a real fire, since fire drills usually only happened at 7am.

You and a few of your friends huddled for warmth out on the grass, watching campus security hustle other students out of the building. You could already hear the firetruck sirens coming towards campus, and you'd figured you might be out here for quite a bit while the fire department inspected the building.

The last student out, being almost shoved out the door by a security officer, was a boy from the first floor and your yearmate, Teruteru. He was visibly scuffed up and coughing quite a bit, and something in your mind clicked with sudden clarity.

"Did Hanamura start that fire?" a dormmate barked into the cold night air with aggression. Heads turned towards the stairs, where little Teruteru was arguing frantically with the security officer. A grumble rose from the crowd of students, and you felt second-hand guilt and fear for Teruteru.

"I c'n't be fully t' blame!" Teruteru was blubbering away at the security officer in an indeterminable accent. "There is NOTHIN' safe about that stovetop! It c'n't have passed regulation!"

"We'll look into that, son," the officer responded, waving Teruteru's energy down and trying to get him to step into the crowd. "It doesn't justify you starting a fire like that one there. Now go stand with your friends and we'll get all this sorted out in a couple minutes."

Teruteru turned his defiant face away from the security officer to gaze out into the crowd of students who were mumbling angrily and shooting him glares. He stood at the edge of the crowd, sheepishly turned away and looking at the ground. The tension broiled as the fire engine pulled up.

"Fuck, dude," you heard someone mumble.

"What a mess," you sighed.

-----------------------

A week later, you were coming down the stairwell at about 8pm. You'd missed dinner due to studying, and were planning on just grabbing a snack from the vending machine in the kitchen and getting back to work. The kitchen had been closed for the past few days, and everyone was grateful that it was finally back to normal.

You pushed the door open and immediately scowled at what you saw: Teruteru, with a pan on the stove and ingredients on the table. He didn't even look up when you walked in, apparently feeling guiltless in this attempt to cook again.

"Hanamura, dude," you barked at him, standing akimbo with the dollar meant for the vending machine still in your hand. "Are you for real?"

Teruteru startled, looking up at you from the onion he was beginning to dice. The look in his eyes was defiant, and you marched over to him, towering over him by a good few inches.

"I'm not kidding, dude, what the hell are you doing? You gonna burn the kitchen down AGAIN?"

"[name], c'mon, that wasn't my fault!" Teruteru shot back, resting his knife on the counter (where had he even gotten something that sharp?). "And besides, it's not like I can just STOP cooking! It's a part of me!"