Chapter Seven: Agitation and Misconceptions

Adele stood in the empty ballroom watching Gabriella fence with the stuffed dummy she used for practice. With each lunge, the sword thrust forward with a vicious stab. "I hate to be the one to remind you, Gabby, but that woman could be his mistress. Most noblemen keep them, you know."

Gabriella slashed the dummy across the throat. "And he apparently didn't think anything of flaunting her in front of me! I must have been a naïve dolt for falling for him like that, all because he danced with me in the moonlight." She stabbed the dummy in the heart with vicious intent. "I need to thank him for teaching me such a valuable lesson. Such romance is dangerous!"

"Couldn't the woman have been a relative? You did say she had dark hair like his. She could be a cousin or a sister."

Gabriella stopped to look at her. "Adele, I told you, I played a spy and watched them. He wrapped his arm around her and led her outside. I know my brothers are younger, but even grown I can't imagine them treating me that way. I'm lucky if they agree to fence with me."

"Men are very different creatures than little boys. Men take on responsibilities like sisters, especially a man like him. Could you not trust him until you at least ask him who she was?"

Gabriella turned back to her dummy. "Perhaps if I had been seeing him for a longer period of time, but I am not comfortable with asking at this stage of the relationship."

"He's taking you on a carriage ride..."

"I'm canceling." She stabbed the dummy again to emphasize her point. "He may think I'm a courtesan because of my behavior."

Adele shook her head, obviously annoyed at Gabby's ridiculous statement. "He asked your papa for an introduction, remember? What if this woman's a relation and he was just being sweet to her? You would be refusing the only man who has ever interested you. Do you believe that would be a wise decision?"

Gabriella sighed dramatically. "Do you have to be so logical all the time?"

"Someone has to be. You've been letting your emotions guide your thinking since you returned from the ball. Jealousy, when unmerited, can destroy dreams unjustly. If this man means anything to you, you need to talk to him. If he treats you badly because of it, you have learned more about his disposition, and that will give you a more valid reason for not seeing him."

"God, I hate it when you are right." She marched over to the sword stand and replaced her rapier. "I will do as you so wisely suggest. But if he winds up being a cad, I promise I shall blame you for talking me into this."

Adele grinned. "And if I am right?"

"I will owe you my gratitude, are you satisfied?" Adele raised an inquiring brow. "Oh, all right. I will owe you a bonus."

Enjoying Gabby's obvious disgust, Adele left her fuming mistress to order their horses readied for their daily ride.

* * *

Later that afternoon Adele walked into Gabby's bedroom and stared at the pile of dresses covering the bed. Gabby glanced her way but continued to study her reflection in the mirror. The dress she held before her was dark blue. With a huff, she tossed it towards the others.

Adele began gathering them to hang back into the wardrobe. "Wear the green velvet. It is warm and you look beautiful in it."

Gabriella tried it on and then stood staring into the mirror, dissatisfied, she pulled her arms from the sleeves. "It is too warm. The royal blue perhaps." Adele handed it to her and Gabby stepped into it, slipping her arms through the long bouffant sleeves. A study in the mirror and she raised her hair in a pile on top of her head to examine the look by twisting this way and that. Satisfied, she nodded. "This will do."