34

Roan and I were training in the throne room when shouts from the hallway interrupted us. "Haihefa!" I recognized Echo's voice before she burst through the doors. She was so intent on delivering her message; she didn't even stop to cast an annoyed look in my direction. "Someone's broken in."

"Broken in?" I repeated. I tried not to let the worry seep into my voice. I knew I failed when Roan put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. I couldn't help but flashback to every time I'd been in the midst of an attack. Grounders, mountain men, even my own people under ALIE's control. I had enough to worry about as it was without needing to fight for my life again.

For once, Echo looked at me with something other than annoyance. I was pretty sure the pity was worse. "They came and went," she said, almost reassuringly. After a beat she turned to Roan and added, "They took the flame."

Roan withdrew his hand from my shoulder. Losing the flame was worse than having a would-be assassin in our midst. Without it, Roan's position was precarious at best. "Any witnesses?" Roan asked.

Echo shook her head. "Our best guess is one of Titus' apprentices."

"Those people are like a cult," he said, with a frown. "Find them."

"Right away." Echo bowed and then disappeared as quickly as she'd arrived.

Roan was pacing. He didn't have to say anything for me to see how stressed he was. I ran my fingers through my hair while I tried to think of a solution. "Octavia can help," I said finally. "If anyone can figure out who took the flame, it's her." He glanced over and nodded. "She's with Indra, I'll go explain."

He stopped pacing and shook his head. "No, it should be me."

"It's not safe for you down there," I protested, turning to put myself between him and the door. "The people aren't exactly pleased with your reign."

"I'll take guards, it will be fine. I don't want you tied up in this." I raised an eyebrow, wanting to comment that I was already tied up in this. After a paused he added, "You and Kane are the untainted faces of Skaikru, I can't have you connected to any more assassinations. But Octavia, she's exactly what we need."

"They've been calling her Skairipa," I whispered. "Death from above." I knew things had changed, but Octavia would always be like my little sister. I hated to think of her as anyone's assassin. But none of us were the same person we'd been on the Ark. "Be careful out there," I muttered. I headed for the door before he could say anything else.

★ ★ ★ ★

I spent hours alone in my room before I heard from anyone. Sometime after nightfall, Octavia came by, but only for a moment. She explained that they'd lost the flame and mumbled something about Indra. Then she'd darted out before I could press her about what actually happened. Things between the two of us had gotten better, but she still hadn't let me back in yet.

Since the gathering, I'd only seen Kane a few times. He claimed it was only because I needed my rest, but I knew he was avoiding me. He'd come around eventually. He had to know I wouldn't allow Octavia to kill someone without a good reason. Killing Rafael had been for the greater good. Then again, without the flame, Roan was in the same situation all over again.

Abby had sent up some of my things from Arkadia, Shauna's book among them. I tried to read for a while, but my mind was too distracted to focus on the story. I wished I could go on a run, but the guards weren't allowed to let me leave the tower at night. I paced my room for a while, before finally deciding to go to sleep. I groaned as I flopped down into my bed.