Chapter 25: Distorted World

"What is a Mystic Soul?

As referred previously, an Ultima Soul is a technique a BladeMaster can use once Soul Crash is active, that can allow him or her to unleash a devastating force of his or her Element, allowing a huge turnabout in most battles, due to the uniqueness of each Ultima Soul. Usually, a BladeMaster only has one Ultima Soul, but there are rare examples of BladeMasters possessing various Ultima Souls, such feat only achievable by an incredibly strong soul.

A Mystic Soul, likewise, is one of the Ultima's variants, which consists in two or more BladeMasters unleashing a joint technique in tandem. Mystic Souls are incredibly rare,due to various reasons: for one, coordination between the BladeMasters is key, as they need to have a deep understanding of each other's powers in order to succeed in this ordeal; secondly, their Elements. Many Mystic Souls consists of its users being born under different Elements,which can create many problems. The reactions between different Elements are varied and unpredictable, so the interaction between the Elements in the Mystic Soul can easily backfire on the users. The safest bet for a Mystic Soul would be its users being born in the same Element, but with the various prisms a single Element can have from BladeMaster to BladeMaster, this task is never easier. Again, coordination and planning are key in the Mystic Soul but many veteran BladeMasters struggle with it even so due to these differences in the Elements' interactions.

But even so, there's alot of BladeMasters who can work as a team, who can coordinate each other's singular abilities and Elements perfectly, Attila's Order being the prime example in these times of war, but even then, Mystic Souls can be out of reach. But why so?

One mustn't forget: just like Ultima Souls and Soul Crash, the human soul needs to be adapted to achieve the Mystic Soul. This technique's power lies deeper than simple teamwork. It boils down to the very being of each BladeMaster. The joint desire to achieve this power might not be enough to unleash it, the souls of the users must be...attuned, per se, towards a single thought, a single state of being.

I, for one, have never been able to achieve a Mystic Soul in my days as a BladeMaster. It was not because I didn't have allies who shared the same values and goals as me, but because I lacked someone whose soul was attuned to mine, with whom I could enter a state of deep understanding and transcendence. Well...at least not at the time and certainly not anymore.

But even so, I've been able to figure out the path to the Mystic Soul, from an academic standpoint. It all boils down to what makes a soul powerful in the first place, what will allow it to reach further heights.

Bonds."

"Secrets of the BladeMaster" by Eldus Egas.

                                                                                                  *

"I just had to really want to improve, heh? Tch, it was so damn obvious. I might just die from embarrassment!"

With those thoughts, Axel fell to the floor, the adrenaline running out and his entire body hurting immensely from the wounds Sobek gave him. But he was still alive. And Sobek's body lied on the wall floor, defeated. He looked at Zeke and Guy, both pretty exhausted too, but with smiles on their faces. With a grin, Axel allowed himself to breathe easy, staring at the sky.

"But that voice...it was a god, right? Just like Guy...I was approached by one of the Elemental Gods? I never believed that they were capable of doing so, but..."

He looked over at Raiden, which he still clutched on his hand. He could feel the faint electric current going along it, so it most certainly not a dream.