three

The sun had long been set and the sky flourished with bright stars. It was maybe ten o'clock and Grey and Lucy sat in the downstairs living room.

The room was dimly lit, seeing as only one lamp was turned on. They watched whatever movie was playing on their small television and chattered.

"So, those boys earlier," Greyson started slowly. "Do you think they hate us?"

"Us? Me. I'm the one who hit Rio. But I sure hope they don't," Lucy said.

"You know, Bruce wasn't too shabby looking. He was a sight for sore eyes."

Lucy gave Greyson a mischievous grin. "Maybe they'll be at the county fair. We could get dressed up and go impress him."

Greyson smiled. "That'd be too cool. We better get rested, then."

"Amen."

___

The two girls were awoken by Greyson's mom making noise as she left for work. They stretched and yawned and looked at each other. Grey smiled hugely at her exhausted best friend. Lucy simply returned a grim expression.

"Today is the day, Lucy Luce," Grey singsonged, standing up and smiling again.

Lucielle let out a long yawn. "Lets just get ready. Maybe I'll see Vince at the fair." Vince was a boy Lucy was on-and-off with.

Greyson groaned and frowned. "Vince is a total douche bag," she criticized disgustedly. "He doesn't know how to treat a girl. Plus, I thought you were 'done for good' last time."

She got up. "Yeah," she sighed, "but if you knew him how I know him, you'd understand. He's perfect. He's tall, he's muscular, blonde hair, green eyes, he's a football player, he's funny. He's just a little hard to know, you know?"

Greyson rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, let's just get ready."

They brushed their teeth and hair, washed their faces, did their makeup, and got dressed.

Greyson strutted up the old wooden stairs and to Lucy's room. She spun in her baby blue skirt, form fitting white t-shirt,and black flats. She patted her shoulder length curls and smiled.

"What a beaut!" Lucy cheered as she stood up from her old vanity. "Gorgeous blue eyes accentuated by some mascara, eyeliner, and a pinky nude lipstick! Wonderful! Oh, and don't you dare forget the white headband!"

Greyson curtsied and put on her best announcing voice. "Here we have Lucielle Duchamp in a classic black skirt, tight tan top, black flats, and a tan ribbon styling a half-up half-down hair. Today her makeup consists of some brown eyeshadow, winged eyeliner, and a tan-nude lip. Very sophisticated!"

Lucy linked their arms and declared, "Let's go!"

They bounded out the house together and got a ride from Sherrie, a young lady in her early twenties from down the street. She was a nice person and was meeting her long time boyfriend at the fair.

Once they arrived, they sat at a picnic table together, (Sherrie parting ways, of course).

"We should work the kissing booth!" Grey suggested, her eyes lighting up with excitement.

"I don't know," Lucy said warily. "What if Vince—"

"Enough with Vince! He doesn't deserve you!" Grey exclaimed. "Lets just have some fun, okay?"

Lucy frowned. "Fine this isn't about Vince. I don't want to have my first kiss to be meaningless, you know?"

Grey sighed. "It's not like you're gonna have any better of a kiss with Vince. He's no good."

Right then, Lucy's attention was caught.

"Speak of the devil," Grey grumbled.

"Hey, baby," Vince greeted Lucy. "What do you say, let's hang out just you and me." He glanced at Grey with a smug look and slung his arm around Lucy's shoulders tightly, pulling her close. Lucy gave Grey a hopeful look.

She rolled her eyes. "Bye. Thanks for ditching me already!" she called after the two, scoffing.

Grey must have wandered around on her lonesome for two hours, bored out of her mind. She stayed in the petting zoo for most of the time, after she blew her cash on a game.

She was petting a goat as she noticed a shadow appear over her. She looked up and saw a pair of familiar hazel eyes. Her cheeks heated up and she smiled bashfully.

"Hi, Bruce," she greeted quietly. "What a fair," she joked.

Bruce chuckled and shrugged. "It's not too bad. It is pretty big, considering it's the county fair. It's really hot, though."

"Yeah," she agreed, playing with her curly blonde hair. "Poor animals are in here dying."

"Yeah," he said as he walked over to where the piglets were kept and Greyson followed him. "It's kind of weird to see so many farm animals in our town. It's pretty urban for a such a small city."

He reached over the fence and tried to grab a piglet, but Greyson pulled him back. "Hey, you're not supposed to pick them up. They won't let us."

"Not even when pigs fly?" he joked and cocked an eyebrow, giving her a little smirk.

Greyson giggled and changed the subject, not knowing how to respond. "How bored did you get that you decided to come here?"

He shrugged. "It's a small town, there's not much to do, and my grandma was cranky. She was talking about a church meeting or something."

"Yup, friends are an essential
for survival in Lucky Palms," she told him, leaning against the fence.

"Speaking of friends, where's yours?"

"Lucy? Oh, she's off somewhere with her Prince Charming," she replied. "He's a douche bag, though."

"Oh, so he's Prince Alarming," Bruce joked.

"Basically, but lets go find them."