3

"Jack is back!!" Madilyn frantically yelled as she burst through her front door.

"What?" Katelyn and Karma said in unison. They were both at Madilyn's house, for it was Madilyn's 18th birthday that very day.

"I just drove by his house, and Jack is back!" she yelled, almost hyperventilating. It had been four years since Jack had moved away.

"Okay, okay calm down!" Katelyn said, grabbing her friend by the shoulders.

Karma on the other hand stood there and awkwardly offered to grab her some vodka to calm her down.

"What're you going to do?" Katelyn asked her, as Madilyn shook her head.

"I don't know, what am I supposed to do?" she asked, her blue eyes wide.

"Idiot!" Karma yelled. "You go over there in a sexy outfit and smack him and imply that you want to make out with him!"

The other two girls went dead silent and gave Karma a look that screamed "what the hell".

"What?" Karma asked, referring to the look of death they were giving her. "It works for me."

"That's different!" Madilyn said.

"We need a plan," Katelyn suggested, and the three huddled. "First, we're gonna need -"

She was cut off by a knock at the door. "Who the hell is that?" Madilyn demanded, and the other two shrugged.

She sighed, before standing up to answer the door. When she opened it, she was met by something she never thought she'd live to see.

"Happy birthday, Maddie."