Chapter Two

I rushed downstairs, nearly slipping down the stairs. Somehow Hunter and I overslept and we had minimal time to get Troy ready for school. We forgot he had to be at the school at a certain time today because they were going on a field trip to the aquarium. Troy would not let us hear the end of it if we made him miss the field trip. The student had to be present at school to board the bus, or else they could not go on the field trip. I didn't have time to make him breakfast or anything, so I grabbed a couple of granola bars and an orange for him and placed it in a ziplock bag.

"Go in the garage, I'm right behind you." I called to Troy from the kitchen.

"Okay." He called back and I heard the door open.

I grabbed my keys out of a bowl we kept on the counter and walked to the bottom of the staircase.

"Baby, I'll be right back! I'm droppin' Troy off." I yelled to Hunter.

"Alright, hurry back because I have to get ready for work!" He called back.

Hunter and I were a complete mess at times. Sometimes our life could get hectic with three kids and both of our careers. The fact that we had been busy all week, might have caused us to oversleep. Normally, our alarms would wake us up, but we managed to sleep right through them.

I went to the garage and started the car, looking in the backseat at my first born to see if his seatbelt was on.

"You can eat your granola bars and orange now." I told him. "And you said they are providing lunch, right?"

"Yeah, they said they were gonna pack sack lunches for everyone." He nodded his head.

"Okay." I pushed the button on my garage remote and it opened. "You got everything?"

"Yes, Mama." He groaned. "Can we go before I'm late?"

"Okay." I said and pulled the car out the garage.

After I dropped Troy off, I made my way back home. Thankfully, Troy was not late because I drove like a mad woman—which I would not recommend to anyone.

"I'm back." I called when I entered the house.

When Hunter didn't answer, I walked upstairs to find him getting ready for work with the twins playing with toys in our bedroom.

"Sorry, I had to get ready." He sorrily smiled at me.

"Baby, it's cool. I know." I waved him off.

I sat down on the floor with the twins and watched them play.

"Mommy!" Cassidy smiled. "Hi."

"Hi, baby." I smiled at her, then looked at Taliah.

"Mommyyyy." Taliah stopped what she was doing and ran into my arms. I kissed her on the cheek and rubbed up and down her back.

"And hi to you, baby."

"So, you're dropping them off at Sam's today, while you go to the store?" Hunter asked me, putting his suit top on.

"Yeah, I'm only gonna be there for a couple of hours, though

"Yeah, I'm only gonna be there for a couple of hours, though. I hired a few more people, so I don't have to be there as much. I also wanna go check out this space downtown. I think I can open another thrift store, if it seems like a reasonable price." I explained to him.

"Awe babe." He smiled at me. "That's great! Just let me know the prices and we can figure something out."

"Hunter." I warned.

"What?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"You know what." I rolled my eyes.

"All these years and you're still stubborn as hell—oops, I meant heck."

"It's too late, they already heard it." I chuckled. "You gotta put a dollar in their swear jar."

"I think it's silly that they have a swear jar, they don't even know what bad words are."

"Okay, but Troy has one, so they need one too. We need to stop cursin' so much anyway."

"Okay whatever." He waved me off. "But back to the conversation, why are you so stubborn? I wanna buy the space for you. You're my wife, let me treat you like it."

"But it'll feel nice, if I bought the space on my own—without help. I'm pretty sure I have enough saved up because the thrift store gets a lot of business. I need to expand it anyway."

"My wife is a hot business woman." He chuckled.

"My husband is a man who is 'bout to be late for work." I said to him, after I checked the time on my phone.

"Oh shit, you're right." He said as he looked at his phone. He grabbed his bag and put his phone in it, before rushing over to the twins and I. He gave us all a kiss and exited the room.

"That's two dollars in their swear jar now!" I called after him.

"When I get home, babe!" He called back.

"Cassidy? Taliah?" I said to the twins.

"Huh?" Cassidy said. Taliah looked at Cassidy for a second and copied what she said.

"Wanna go over Sam's house?" I asked excitingly.

"I wann go over Sam house." Cassidy nodded her head quickly.

"Sam house." Taliah slowly clapped her hands together.

Taliah and Cassidy were trying to talk in full sentences, but it seemed like Taliah was taking a bit more time. Although, Cassidy spoke in full sentences sometimes, they weren't grammatically correct because she was only two years old. The two of them couldn't speak correctly yet, but Hunter and I were working on that, as any other parent would with two year olds. We wanted for them to have the best education so they could become something greater than themselves, and also for Troy. I thought it was absolutely cute how they tried to say things sometimes and ended up getting stumbled on a word.

"Come on." I stood up and held out my arms to them. "Let's go get y'all ready and we can go over Sam's house."

I washed the twins up and put some fresh clothes on them. I fed them breakfast, packed their diaper bags, and we made our way out the door. It didn't take long to get to Sam's house because she lived less than fifteen minutes away. The twins loved to play with Violet, Sam's baby, even though she couldn't really play because she was too young.

"Thanks again, for watching them." I said to Sam as she stood in the doorway. "I'm gonna find a daycare soon."

"Girl, you know it's no problem." She waved me off.

"Bye, babies." I called to the twins, looking behind Sam, where they were already playing by Violet.

•••

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.