Part 10: Phone Calls

<Maria's POV>

     I'm sitting with Alex at Peggy's bedside when my phone vibrates. I see that the time is about 3 pm, hours and hours after Peggy collapsed on the stairs.

James: We still going to the movie?

     I debate with myself, then I turn to the debate master, Alexander Hamilton.

     "James and I were gonna go see a movie this afternoon-"

     "Go." He says immediately, not looking at me.

     "But-"

     "You need to go. I'll stay with Peggy."

     "You sure?"

     "Positive." I look at him again for confirmation, but he's reading some long book. I text James back.

You: Yep! What time?

James: The movie starts at 4. I'll take you to dinner afterwards. What do you want?

You: Anything's fine. Even Burger King.

James: Alright. I'll pick you up at 3:30?

You: Sounds good.

     I turn off my phone and look at Alex. "I've gotta go now."

    He doesn't even look up from the book as he responds. "Okay. Have fun."

     I stand slowly, exiting the hospital room after patting Peggy's hand once. Get better. I think. Please.

_____________________

<Peggy's POV>

     When I next open my eyes, all I see is light. The world is pure whiteness. Am I dead? I wonder absently. But then my ears kick in and I hear a slight beeping. My nerves come back and I can tell there's something around my face and in my nose. My movement comes back and there's something over the bottom half of my body.

     Not dead. I think as I groan with pain, screwing my eyes shut. It's like what I felt in my bedroom, but many, many, times worse.

     I feel someone with soft hands touch the top of mine lightly. I slowly crack open my eyes to see that Alex is sitting next to me, his eyes full of concern.

     "I'm fine." I say, closing my eyes again. He doesn't withdraw his hand, and I'm grateful. I need nothing more than to feel like someone's there for me right now. "What happened?" I ask after I've recovered slightly from the pain.

     Alex speaks in a soft voice, one I've never heard before. "I found you at the bottom of the stairs, collapsed and pale. I called John, he said he'd be here if he could, but he's at the Debate right now. Maria came over, and the paramedics arrived shortly thereafter. They took you here, Maria and I with them, and then set you up here. You- You have heart disease, Peggy."

    "What? I thought that was only for old people."

     He pats my hand twice. "It's okay, Pegs. You'll be okay. Soon, you'll be back to your full health."

     I blink at the nickname I haven't heard him say since third grade. Pegs. The nickname for a nickname. The shortened version of a shortened version. The easiest way to call me over while still using my name.

     I cough when I can't swallow correctly, my hand coming up to my chest. Alex quickly hands me a glass of water and helps me drink it, clearing my throat.

     I lower back onto the flat bed, closing my eyes.

______________

<Alex's POV>

     I'm aware that Peggy drifts off to sleep as her breathing regulates and her mouth parts slightly. I grab my phone and call my best friend.

     "Alex." He answers simply. "How's Peggy doing?"

     "She's doing good. Just woke up, only for a minute or two, but she awoke nonetheless. How's the debate going?"

     He sighs, and I can tell he's running a hand through his curly hair that's probably out of its ponytail. "Well, we've won more than we've lost thus far..."

     "But?"

     "But.... we're not doing too hot. We're down 2 to Massachusettes, but we're beating Florida, so that's all that matters. As long as we beat them...Charles will count it as a win."

     "Good." I take one breath. "How are you doing?"

     "Huh?"

     "How are you doing, John?"

      "Well, I won one, lost one-"

     "No. How are you doing?"

     He takes an audible breath, and I can tell it's a little shaky. "N-not good, Alexander." He sniffles. "Everything seems to be breaking apart. My family...they're- it's not how I want to live anymore. We never talk, we don't do stuff, we don't even sit at the table during meals!" He takes another sniffling breath. "And then Peggy. Peggy. She's broken all on her own, and now...now I don't even know what to do!" He stops then, his breath coming in through the reciever. His next words are full of emotion, and I realize he's crying. "What do I do, Alex!? What do I do?"

     I swallow back my own tears. It hurts to hear my best friend in such pain, especially about his own life. "I don't know, John." I reply. "I don't know, but I want to work it through with you. You need to come back to Virginia as soon as you possibly can."

     "Alex, you know I can't do that. Charles said that if I don't win the rest of my debates, I'm off the team. And you know how much it means to me. The team...they're my real family. They're my real friends. I don't know what I'd do without alll of them, y'know?"

     "Yeah. I know."

     "And besides," He adds with a little laugh. "Don't you have a re-election party to go to tonight?"

     "Oh yeah. I forgot about that." I sigh. Then blink. Crap.

     "Alex?"

      "I just remembered. If no one comes, no ones gonna be with Peggy tonight. Her family will most likely be at the party, and I have to be there. Maria's gonna be there too, she told me."

     John is completely silent on the other end. I know him well enough that he's probably scratching his nose with his ring finger, eyes closed as he tried not to cry again.

     "I'll stay." I finally say. "I'll tell my dad, and then-"

     "No." He cuts me off. "Go to the party. I'll call my mother."

     "You sure?"

     "Positive."

     "Anything else you wanted to talk about?"

     "Yeah, actually. I need to vent."

     "I'm here."

     "Okay, you ready? There's quite a lot about Charles and Sam."

     "Bring it on, buddy."

     I stayed on the phone for a few hours with my best friend as we laughed and talked, seeming to never find a topic that could satisfy our talkativeness tonight.

    I'm there so long, I almost forget about the party. Almost.