Saturday... March 24, 1984

My dads car came to a stop in front of my school, Shermer High School. I knew I was probably late, not that I cared. No one was in sight as I got out of the car and headed towards the school. The car ride was silent, except for my dads rock music blaring through the speakers.

I stepped into the library and watched as everyone looked up at me. Mr.Vernon had a scowl on his face while the rest of the students all looked at me wide eyed, except for Bender and the jock. Bender and I were somewhat friends, but we could quickly be at each other's throats. I had seen the jock maybe once at school, so he probably didn't really know who I was. Clearly everyone else did.

The jock and the popular girl Claire were seated at one of the front tables, Bender at the table behind them. Brian Johnson was seated at the table opposite of Bender and another girl, whose name I didn't know, was seated behind him. I walked to the back and took a seat behind Bender.

"Ms. Avery Sheppard. What a pleasure it is to have you back in here for detention." Mr.Vernon said while glaring at me. At his words, the jocks head snapped back to look at me, his eyes wide as he realized who I was. 'Yeah he's totally heard my name before.' I thought to myself.

"Oh and it's great to see your face again." I said while giving Mr. Vernon the same look in return. We were staring each other down with a cold, hard look. It was pretty obvious to the other students in the room that I was winning the stare down when Claire decided to break the silence.

"Excuse me, sir? I think there's been a mistake. I know it's detention but, um, I don't think I belong in here."

I just rolled my eyes at that and silently laughed to myself. Bender turned around and smirked at me.

Vernon started going on about how long we were going to be in there so I just stopped listening. Bender spit in the air and caught it in his mouth. Claire looked like she was going to gag but I just ignored him, I've seen him do much worse.

"You may not talk. You will not move from these seats." He says looking from Claire to Brian. "You will not sleep." He says, pulling the chair out from under Benders feet. "And you..." He starts, pointing a finger at me. "You will not cause any problems with any of the students here. Nor will you fight."

"Alright people, we're gonna try something a little different today. We are going to write an essay, of no less than a thousand words, describing to me who you think you are."

"Is this a test?" Bender asked.

Vernon just ignores Bender and keeps talking while he hands out paper and pencils. "And when I say essay, I mean essay. I do not mean a single word repeated a thousand times. Is that clear Mr. Bender and Ms. Sheppard?"

"Crystal." Bender answered.

"Yeah, whatever." I answered, earning a glare from Vernon.

"Good. Maybe you'll learn a little something about yourselves. Maybe you'll even decide whether or not you care to return." Vernon said, looking between Bender and I. Claire and the jock were turned in their seats looking at us.

Brian raised his hand and then stood up. "You know, I can answer that right now sir. That'd be no, no for me. Cause..."

"Sit down Johnson." Vernon cut him off.

"Thank you sir." Brian said before sitting down.

"My office is right across that hall. Any monkey business or fighting is ill-advised. Any questions?"

"Yeah I got a question." Bender said. I knew without a doubt the next thing he said would be some joke or smart remark. Sure enough, I was right. "Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?"

Everyone was trying to hold in their laughter while I on the other hand busted out laughing. Brian, Claire, and the quiet girl were covering their mouths trying not to laugh. The jock looked at me with a grin on his face and Bender had an amused look on his.

"I'll give you the answer to that question, Mr. Bender, next Saturday. Don't mess with the bull young man, you'll get the horns. Oh, and Sheppard, I don't think your father would like to hear about how you disrespected a teacher."

The smile immediately fell off of my face and my whole tough demeanor crumbled down as I looked down at the table in front of me. He was right, although my dad was proud that I could fight and win any argument with other kids, disrespecting adults wasn't something that made him happy.

"That's what I thought." I heard Vernon mumble before walking out of the room.

I glanced up and noticed everyone staring at me except for Bender. They all turned around as I looked back down at the table, but I could still feel the jocks eyes on me.

"That man is a brownie hound." I heard Bender say.