Purple Pills

It was so easy to pretend everything was okay. Maybe because no one was really paying attention, or maybe her performance was Oscar-worthy.

Mr.Clemens had assigned the final speech of the year, despite the fact that Finals were two weeks away and to tell you the truth she was freaking out. Freyda hadn't written a word and it was the night before it was due.

Aside from the stress of other unfinished final projects,  her family hated her, or so it seemed from her perception. Her dark room was filled with the paralyzing depression that sucked at her soul like a demonic leech. There was no where to go from here.

The small purple sleeping pills had been hidden in Freyda's desk for weeks. She wasn't suppose to be taking them anymore but sleep doesn't come easily.

Life is meaningless and unhappiness is the only promise it brings.

That was the lone thought repeating in her head. Freyda could hear it echoing around in the dark corners of her psyche, almost like a broken record. The voice saying it was her own, whispering it hellishly into her ear.

The gaping black hole inside of her was slowly taking over, sucking Freyda's soul into a chasm of horrid sadness. She decided she wouldn't let herself fall into a living hell.

Purple pills.

They tasted like chemicals and made her feel as if the earth was made of waves. Freyda's body shivered involuntarily, her teeth grinded together, like magnets attracted to each-other.

I can't die.

When you're tired of living death seems so simple, but when you feel like you're dying you find that maybe you aren't as ready to go as you had thought.

Not yet.

Freyda crawled into her in-suite bathroom and draped herself over the toilet. Vomiting wasn't as easy as it had seemed in the movies.

Please, God.

She even found myself praying to a god she didn't have much faith in.

What have I done?

Freyda couldn't vomit anymore, but it was to late. The pills had taken their affect. She crawled out of the bathroom and decided to wait for the end. 

Freyda didn't even notice when she passed out. The sounds of her mother screaming imprinted into her brain.

" Freyda! Que hiciste?!"

Freyda's mother hysterically shook her limp body, and although Freyda could hear her, she had gone off the precipice.