Chapter 3

I was having a wonderful dream until it was disrupted by the devil, Skylar. Is sleeping in not allowed anymore? I just want some peace. Skylar thought it was a wonderful idea to wake me up with a phone call.

"What do you want?" I all but growled into the phone.

"I was calling to ask if you could help me get ready for a date." She replied.

"With who?"

"Mason."

"Why?"

"He asked me out. I said yes."

"He's just using you."

"No, he isn't. We're not together. We're just going out on one date."

"I'm too tired to argue with you. Just be careful. I'll be over in twenty." I said as I hung up the phone. She's going to get hurt but she won't listen to me.

I climb out of bed and head to the bathroom to do my morning business. I drag a brush through my hair and pull it back into a braid. I decide that it might be best if I get dressed for sneaking into Dylan Taylor's house since it's already about noon. I'll just have to stop back home to grab what I need for later on. I pull on black leggings and a black t shirt. I'll grab my black hoodie later. I pull on my black combat boots and grab my phone and keys. I have my own car but Skylar prefers to pick me up everyday so she does just that. I headed downstairs and went into the garage. I got into my 2016 Nissan GTR. This car is my baby. I got in my car and used my garage door opener to open the garage door from inside my car. I slowly pulled out of my garage and drove to Skylar's.

When I pulled into Skylar's driveway, she was waiting for me on her front porch. Once she saw me, her face lit up as if I was her savior. She jumped up and ran upstairs, not even waiting for me. I let out a short chuckle and followed her up the stairs, making sure to shut her front door first. When I got to her room, there was clothes all over the place.

"Damn. What the hell happened in here?" I asked.

"I don't know what to wear! I'm flipping out. I never usually act like this." Skylar replied.

"Do you know what type of date Mason's taking you on?"

"All I know is that it's a lunch date and that I should dress semi casual."

"Okay, that narrows it down a bit. How about you wear the black mid length skirt with the flowered off-the-shoulder blouse tucked in? You should pair it with the cute flats with the little bow. You should go natural with your makeup and wear your hair down but curled."

"That sounds amazing. Thank you. You're a life saver."

"You should probably go get dressed now."

"You're probably right. Thank you for stopping by and helping me. I really appreciate it even though you think I'm making a huge mistake."

"I do think you're making a mistake but you are my best friend and I support you. I may not like some of the choices you make but I will always be right behind you."

"Thank you, Scarlett. Please don't tell Ava about this."

"I won't. Go have fun on your date and I'll see you later."

With that I turned around and walked out of Skylar's room. I walked down the stairs and locked the front door on my way out. I got in my beautiful baby and drove back home. When I got home, I went to my room and gathered the things I needed. I put my black hoodie, a flashlight, and my lock picking kit into my black duffel bag. I send Kai a quick text telling him I would be leaving after I got myself something to eat. I went to the kitchen after I dropped off the duffel bag near the front door and warmed up some left over spaghetti and meatballs from the other night for myself. It tasted even better than it was originally made. I washed the dishes after I finished eating and left the house, making sure to grab my duffel bag on my way out. I took the scenic route to Kai's but the peaceful moment got interrupted by a phone call.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, Scarlett. It's Skylar. I wanted to talk to you about something." Skylar replied.

"What's up?"

"I can't make it tonight. I didn't think the date with Mason would last this long. I just don't have a good feeling about this job. I'm sorry. Good luck." Skylar ended the call.

That's strange. Skylar never hangs up on me. Something has to be wrong. I had to do this job though because I need the money. I tried to call Skylar back but she let it go to voicemail. I sighed but continued driving to Kai's house. I pulled up to his house and walked in since the door was unlocked. I slammed the door shut in anger and frustration. Kai couldn't possibly make me do this along.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Kai screamed.

"Skylar just bailed on me! For some stupid date." I yelled back.

"If Skylar bailed, then you have to do it alone. I can't help you if I'm keeping Dylan out of the house."

"It's not fair that I have to do it alone. But fine, I guess I'll go."

"Do you know what to do?"

"Sneak in through the back door and find the study upstairs. I should be able to pick the lock on the safe that is in the study. Grab anything of value from the safe and leave without being noticed. That part shouldn't be a problem if he's not there."

"Good, now go." Kai said, pushing me out the door.

I let out a huff and head to my car. I got in and drove to 132 Crestview Drive. When I pulled up, I waited for Dylan to leave house. Damn did that take a long time. Once I saw his car leave and turn the corner, I got out of my car and walked to the back entrance with my black hoodie on and my black duffel bag. When I got to the back entrance, I got my lock picking kit out and picked the lock with ease. I grabbed my flashlight out of the bag then carried the bag on my shoulder. I clicked the flashlight on and stepped into the dark house. I waved the flashlight around the room and walked until I found the stairs. As I passed through the dining room and living room, I could tell Dylan was a very neat and clean person, as here was no dust anywhere. I went up the stairs and opened each door until I found the study. The first door I opened was filled with cleaning supplies. The second door I opened was a bedroom, most likely Dylan's. The room was pretty plain by only containing a bed, small desk, chair, and TV. There wasn't anything on the walls. The third door I opened was a bathroom. This guy has a lot of rooms. The fourth door I opened was a study. Finally I got the right room. There were a few bookcases on both sides of the room with a couple of comfy looking chairs next to the bookcases. In the back of the room, near the windows, there was a desk. My first thought was to look there for the safe but one thing caught my attention and seemed odd to me. There was one single painting on the wall. It was strange because there were no other paintings anywhere in this house. I went over to the painting and lifted it off the wall. There was a safe built into the walk with a padlock hanging from it. I grabbed my lock picking kit and went to work. It took a couple of minutes but I got it opened. When I opened the door, the overhead light came on. I jumped and turned around. I didn't notice that anyone was in here but there stood a very tall man with light brown hair and hazel eyes with a pale but not pasty complexion. He took a few steps closer to me and I backed away. As he stepped closer, I realized a few of his teeth were extremely sharp, like a vampire's would be, but they don't exist.

"I'll kill you." I said in hopes to scare him away.

"Darling, I'm already dead." He said smiling, showing his sharp white fangs.

"What are you going to do with me?"

"I might just keep you for myself."

And with that I passed out.