chapter four

"Luke, can we stop at your house?" Michael asked from over the loud music that matched my own music taste.

"Why?" Luke peered at Michael through the rear view mirror as I leaned over to turn the volume down.

"This shirt is itchy as hell." He told him, getting Luke to roll his eyes. I lightly placed my hand over my mouth to hide my soft laugh from how childish they both were.

"No." Luke scoffed.

"Come on, your house is right down the street."

I watched between the two as they continued to bicker about going to Luke's house. Since I had no reason to go, yet no reason not to, I stayed out of it. I looked back to the road to see familiar street and realized that the entrance to my neighborhood was coming up to the right.

"Hey, I live in there." I spoke, pointing my finger to the stone sign and gates that were there for literally no reason.

They stopped fighting for a moment, looking to the passing entrance then focusing back to their dumb conversation. The car suddenly swerved to the right and immediately I thought we were going to crash, but instead, Luke had raised his voice at Michael.

"You almost made me miss the turn, asshole." He glanced over his shoulder before getting fully into the turn lane and quickly turning into the gated road.

"Are you okay?" Michael questioned, raising an eyebrow at me.

"We almost just died, but for the most part, yeah." I laughed as I turned to face him. He gave me a faint smile before Luke had broken our gazes.

"Can you open the gates?" He asked, leaning out his car window as he pressed a button on the speaker. I couldn't make out what the person talking back to him was saying, but they didn't sound too pleased. "Whatever, I'll just be in and out. It's no big deal." He sighed, sitting back in his seat and gripping onto the steering wheel as the black fence started opening.

He drove off once they were open and we soon pulled up to a large estate. My jaw dropped slightly as he parked out front, both of them getting out before me. I reached to open my door, but Luke had beat me to it, holding it open for me as I climbed out.

"Do you seriously live here?" I asked, hoping that I wasn't coming off as too rude. Luke nodded his head a few times and kept his hands in his pockets as we climbed the front steps. "It's so cool." I said, looking around at the vast amount of land before stepping inside.

The inside seemed to be smaller than I pictured it, but it was probably because of the large amount of furniture and pictures throughout the house that took up the space. Michael winded his way through the home as he obviously knew his way around. Luke and I followed as I admired the beautiful home, eventually having to climb the spiral staircase which I guess led to his room.

"My parents and brothers are all some type of physicians, they work for the highest paying medical company." Luke said randomly. "In case you were wondering why I have a big house and still go to a normal public school." He explained, which I nodded my head at. He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. "I hope that didn't come off as too douchey."

"It didn't." I faintly laughed, glancing over at him once then back to Michael who was scurrying down the hallway and into a room. Luke stopped in his tracks, grabbing onto my arm so we wouldn't keep walking.

I didn't ask why, but I figured it was because it would be kind of weird of me to go into his room, especially with Michael changing clothes. We sat patiently outside and talked mostly about school, seeing that so far it was really the only thing we had in common. Luke had definitely given off a more bad ass vibe than I did which is why I felt so drawn to him. I knew it would be nothing but trouble if I got involved with him, but for some reason that was appealing.