Coincidental Confessions

Fandom: Boku no Hero Academia/My Hero Academia

Relationship: Todoroki Shouto x Reader

Genre: Gen/Romance

Rating: G/PG-13 because of Bakugou?

Summary: He didn't mean for you to hear. "Do you want me to leave?"

*

*

*

"Will you go out with me?" Todoroki asks, staring ahead intently.

In front of him, Midoriya studies him, tapping a finger on his chin in contemplation. Crossing his arms over his chest, he answers, "Nope."

"Yeah, it's a no for me too," Kirishima agrees, shaking his head.

Todoroki slouches in dejection, groaning, "I can't do this. (Last Name) would probably say no anyway."

Midoriya, Kirishima, and Todoroki stand in his dorm room. They were supposed to be helping him practice how he'd ask you out, but it was harder than he thought. When they asked how he planned to do it, he told them he wanted to be straightforward about it and simply pop the question. Midoriya and Kirishima disagreed, telling him that just words aren't good enough. They suggested other, more extravagant methods, but when he refused, they convinced him to at least delay his plans to practice with them first.

"Come on, man, don't give up," Kirishima encourages, walking up to Todoroki. He pats his back. "Most girls likes romantic stuff, right? So put more emotion into it. Ya know, get down on one knee or something. Just keep practicing."

Todoroki frowns, facing his practice dummy. "Tell me again why I'm practicing on Midoriya?"

"Because I'm not going to, certainly not Bakugou and the other guys, and the girls would probably tell (Last Name). We can't risk that. Midoriya's so heroic, he'd take one for the team. Now try again."

"Don't worry, Todoroki. Just think of me as (Last Name)," Midoriya suggests, giving him a crooked smile.

Todoroki sighs but does as he's told. "Put more emotion into it, huh? I can do that." He gets down on one knee like Kirishima advises, taking Midoriya's hand in his. He breathes deeply and closes his eyes, focusing, trying to conjure up the right words to express how he feels. Then the words flow. Melodic. Like a symphony. "(Last Name), in the short time we've come to know each other, I find myself enjoying your company more and more each passing day I spend with you. You may not feel the same, but I want to get to know you as more than friends, if you'd let me. So if you'd give me the chance, would you do me the honor of going on a date with me?"

Todoroki takes a deep breath and opens his eyes. He studies his friends' expressions for their approval. Midoriya trembles, flushing as he covers his mouth with his free hand. Kirishima sniffs, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. You stand at the open door and-

Wait.

You press your lips together, attempting to suppress a smile. "I'm sorry for interrupting," you apologize politely. "Do you want me to leave?"

Shouto's face turns as blue as the Shiketsu Academy uniform caps. He gapes at you, frozen as his mouth parts and closes to try and thread a sentence together.

Snatching his hand out of Todoroki's, Midoriya turns his red face to you and sputters, "W-wait, i-it's not what it looks like."

You keep a straight face, fighting off the grin threatening to spread across your lips. You wave at him dismissively. "There's no need to explain yourselves. I'll take my leave." You turn to the door.

"No, really!"

Kirishima quickly steps in front of you, blocking the doorway. "(Last Name), you came just in time," he chuckles. "Todoroki's got something to ask you."

"Does he now?" You raise an eyebrow.

"Yep, so we'll take our leave," Kirishima says as he ushers a petrified Midoriya out the door. He shuts it behind them with an audible click.

You turn back to Todoroki. He stands a few feet in front of you, face no longer blue but redder than Kirishima's hair. He stuffs his hands in his trouser pockets and looks away. He shifts his weight between his feet, ducking his head so his bangs fall over his face like a curtain. He's curling into himself. Suddenly, he doesn't look like the strongest student in Class 1-A. Not mature or collected like you're used to seeing. Instead, he's replaced by a teenager like the rest of the class. Awkward, still trying to get a handle on themselves, experiencing new things for the first time. A kid. A boy.

"How much did you hear?" He murmurs toward the floor.

The corner of your lips quirk up in a half smile. "Everything," You admit, striding to stand before him. "Did you mean it?"

He gathers the courage to look at you. "Mean what?"

"What you said to Midoriya. Or should I assume that you meant to ask him and not me-"

Muffling your words with his hand, Todoroki interrupts, "Don't even finish that sentence."

You laugh and he drops his hand, pouting at your jest. Todoroki gazes at you as your laugh fades into a chuckle, his heterochromatic eyes earnest. "Of course I meant every word. Why would I lie?" He answers.

"That's good," You breath a sigh in relief, stepping closer to him. He tenses as your chest brushes against him but doesn't move away. You take it as a sign to continue and reach out to him, placing your hands around his neck. He places his hands on your hips as you hug him close. "Because my answer is yes."

It starts with a coincidental confession. It doesn't just end with a purposeful proposal.

*

*

*

Deleted Scene:

Outside, Class 1-A huddles at Todoroki's dorm room. Jirou is closest, her earphone jack connected to the door.

"Disgusing. Disgraceful," Tenya scolds, shaking his head. "You all should be ashamed for eavesdropping on Todoroki."

The class sweatdrops as their class president presses closer to the door. Says the guy doing it too!

"Yo, Jirou," Kaminari utters behind her, a hand on her shoulder. "How's it going with them?"

"Everything went according to plan," Jirou replies, unplugging her jacks. She pulls away from the door. The rest of Class 1-A follow suit and make their way down to the common room.

Jumping with joy, Ashido comments, "Finally! Those two have been dancing around each other for so long."

"I hope Todoroki opens up now that he has (Last Name)," Uraraka says, clasping her hands together.

"Didn't think Half n' Half had the balls. It's about time," Bakugou grunts from the back, his lips curling in a snarl.

Next to him, Uraraka smacks his shoulder and scolds him, "Don't say that Bakugou."

"Hah? You wanna fight, Uraraka?" Bakugou snaps, getting into an offensive stance. She does the same and lets out a half hearted battle cry.

"Are you okay, Midoriya? You've been awfully quiet since you left Todoroki's room" Tokoyami asks, turning to the green haired boy.

Flushing, Midoriya stammers, "I-I'm fine. I just didn't expect Todoroki to be so..."

"Earnest? Emotional?" Kirishima adds, grinning. He puts a hand on his shoulder. "That was so manly of Todoroki! Damn, the way he expressed himself? Even I could fall for him!"

"Yeah..."

*

*

*

Feel free to request anything. My ask box is open. :)