Sunlight

The fact that my dream had come to life, I wasn't sure whether I should be jumping for joy or running away screaming. All I know is that a beautiful boy (With now perfect hair), was standing in front of me, his hand reaching out and his eyes completely innocent.

So I took his hand.

That may have been either the worst or the best decision of my life, but it definitely had impact, because I saw him smile. It was beautiful, like God had just given him pearls in the form of teeth and his face automatically glowed along with the smile. It was really and absolutely the best thing I'd seen in my whole entire life.

He pulled me up, walking to my closet and grabbing a dress, throwing it at me.

"Now, get up. We're going out."

"Out? Where?"

I looked down at the dress with its light blue frill and felt like it might be a little much. There was a glint in his eyes as he turned back to me.

"Do you think I care? I've been stuck in the dark for longer than I can remember, and I want to go see what's changed. I can finally look at the sun. I really don't care if you want to go drown me in a river, at least I'll be able to feel the water."

I looked at him, probably with my most judging face I've made in front of him, because he just sighed at me and walked out of my room. Thank God my parents weren't here.

I slipped on the dress, fixing my hair into a braid and stepping back out, looking for Kai but I felt completely lost, hoping he hadn't done something as stupid as gone outside and attack somebody, I ran down the stairs, turning the corner to see him sitting at the table stuffing food into his mouth.

I couldn't help but snicker at the sight of him sitting with probably ten old McDonalds burgers, pulling them closer as if they were his children and I were going to come steal them from him.

"This is what you choose for your first meal as a human again?"

He looks up at me, cheeks stuffed and eyes wide.

"Something wrong with this?"

As he mumbled, the smallest piece of bun fell from his mouth and I rolled my eyes.

"You're a mess."

"I've been dead. What did you expect?"

"Do you have to say it like that?"

I pulled out a chair, sitting across from him, head resting on my hand as I watched him devour the eleven dollar meal.

"Is there a better way to say it?" He stuffed nearly half of a newly-unwrapped burger in his mouth, mumbling through the bite, his eyes moving with his smile - or as much of a smile as he could manage with full cheeks - and he lifted his hand, tracing it over my chin as I shied away anxiously. 

"Besides, you're already in love with me, do I have to be polite?"

I hit his hand away, standing up and grabbing his wrist.

"You can't treat me like I'm not special anymore just because you've seen me naked. I mean, before, it was... Different. You weren't real."

"I was very real, just not to you." He swallowed the burger, along with what seemed to be a new lump which had formed in his throat. "Actually, I believe there's a catch."

"A catch?"

That never sounded good, especially when the underworld was involved.

"I believe that you and I," his eyes looked desperate as his slid his wrist back and rather than me holding onto him, he laced his fingers with mine. "We have to be in love forever."

Forever is a very very restrictive word.

"Forever... Well what happens if we don't?"

He let go of my hand and grabbed the remaining burgers, stuffing them back into the fridge, having demolished six of them, closing the door as his fingers lingered on the metal.

"Hm, what would happen?" He turned to me, rubbing the back of his neck and looking directly into my eyes. "I heard I would disappear."

"Like, go back to being an incubus?"

He shook his head.

"As in what's left of my soul would very possibly turn into ash. Sounds a little cliche, doesn't it?"

I nod, watching as he circled the table ending up in front of me.

"It sounds like a new pre-teen novel."

He laughs, grabbing my hand once again.

"This however, is not a novel. This is real. So don't fall for anyone else, or else I very well might have to break their bones one by one."

I looked at him horrified, turning my wrist from his hand but he refused to let go as I questioned him.

"You wouldn't really, would you?"

He shrugs.

"I suppose if losing the love I gained has such a large effect, then killing someone could very well do the same thing? Why? There isn't someone of whom you admire in such a way, is there?" 

I gaped at him, making it a point to avoid his question. 

"If you're going to start living as a human again then you really need to stop talking like that."

"Like what?"

"That last sentence of yours was completely old fashioned."

"I myself am rather old fashioned."

"Yeah, well just try not to talk like that okay?"

"How am I suppose to change my speaking habits completely?"

"What year did you live in to have such a stuck up way of speaking anyway?"

"It's rather hard to remember, seeing that the underworld can play with your mind in whatever way it wants, but I suppose it was somewhere around... 1820's?"

"There's no way you could be that old. I mean, that's a little disgusting from my point of view."

He chuckles, starting to direct me toward the door as he tugs my hand forward.

"You believe you might be dating someone over a thousand years older than you? No need to worry, I never really aged. And to be honest, I can't be sure if that was the year or not. I have vague memories, but mostly pertaining to the reason I ended up becoming what I was, the date on the calendar was hardly an important factor."

We left the apartment, walking down the flights of the stairs to get to the street.

He looked even more perfect in the sunlight.