4

FOUR

Deb,

Deb,

I know it's been a while since I've written to you. Things have been crazy here. I may or may not have been held captive in a German facility for a little while. BUT I AM FINE. I PROMISE. I love you so damn much, you know. Did you know that Steve got huge? He says he did a lot of push ups but I'm 99% sure he's kidding. The whole super soldier serum thing has me a little worried for him. You don't think it's gonna be dangerous for him, right? You're usually pretty good at talking me down over this sort of stuff. I wish you were here-- well, not here because I never want you this close to a war, but just here with me. God, I miss you. I'm coming home soon. I've got a couple missions left with good ol' Captain America (still think it's a silly name?) but then I'm coming home to you. We've got an easy one today. Villains on a train. Sounds like a film title. I can't write about all the naughty things I want to do to you when I get back to Brooklyn because they read everything we write before we send it, but just know I'm thinking them every second of every day. I had a dream last night about you. We were back at that carnival where we met. We had a couple kids and we were riding that Ferris wheel. We should do that sometime. Both the kid thing and the Ferris wheel thing, in case I wasn't clear. Also, Steve says hi. I love you.

See you soon, doll,
Your James

WAR DEPARTMENT

Dear Mrs. Barnes:

It is with deep regret that I am writing to confirm that your husband, James Buchanan Barnes was killed in battle as a result of a train accident. I have attached the mail that he received today. Unfortunately he was unable to open any of it, so I am sending it along to you. I sincerely regret that this message will bring so much sorrow into your home and my deepest sympathy is with you in your bereavement.

Sincerely,
General Chester Phillips