epilogue

[2016]

James Buchanan Barnes lay unconscious, strapped down in an abandoned warehouse, being carefully watched by an old friend

"Steve," Bucky groaned, straining to open his eyes.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve asked warily.

"Your mom's name was Sarah. You used to wear newspapers in your shoes. Deb. Deb used to keep newspapers with her," Bucky said softly, memories flooding back to him, filling his mind with painful thoughts and memories.

"Can't read that in a museum," Steve shrugged, looking over at his partner, who gazed at Bucky with a hardened glare.

"I-- I was married. Deb. Deb," Bucky whispered.

"I'm sorry, Buck," Steve said quietly, unable to look his friend in the eyes.

He was there when she passed. She was the first person he found out was still alive when he came out of the ice. She was also the first person to leave him once he came out.

"Was she in pain?" Bucky whispered, looking at the ground, trying to hold back his emotions.

"She went in her sleep. She was around her family. Even as an old woman, she was still beautiful, you know. Nothing is as beautiful as someone who survived losing everything and still had a tender heart," Steve promised.

"Did she get married again?" Bucky asked, not really wanting to know that she fell in love again, but also hoping that she had moved on.

"His name's David. He was a good father to your son--" Steve explained, not realizing what he said until it had already slipped out.

"I-- I have a son?" Bucky asked, looking up from the ground.

"Looks just like you. Has Debbie's eyes, though," Steve sighed, chuckling.

"What's-- what's his name?" Bucky asked.

"James Buchanan Barnes Jr.-- but everyone calls him Bucky," Steve said, laughing at the thought of hearing Debbie call her son Bucky.

"Really?" Bucky asked hopefully.

"Yeah, Buck. When all of this is over and you're okay again, I'll take you to meet him," Steve promised.

"But, uh, Buck. He-- he's more like you than you know. He's, uh, he's got Alzheimer's," Steve stammered.

"He doesn't want me as his dad," Bucky shuddered, looking over at his metal prosthetic.

"His dad is his hero. He wears your dog tags, you know. Doesn't take 'em off. He's proud of his father," Steve said firmly.

"And she was proud of you, too," Steve added, tossing the man a photograph of his wife and son, proudly holding up a framed photo of Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes in one hand and American flags in the other.