(2)

I noticed.

I had always noticed,

The little things that people did, the twitch of their fingers when they laughed or the way their hands moved when they drew, it was a hobby- a pastime you could call it or maybe, in my heart of hearts I thought, it was to take away from the oppressive monotony of my own life.

Today I noticed, from my perch at the very back of the cafe, how the sunlight trickled in through the blinds, the way it made little honey colored freckles on my skin and the way it made the petals of the poppies at the windowsill shimmer as though someone had sprinkled glitter all over them.

"Your order"

My head snapped up, it was the waitress again, the artistic one who painted part time, She had smudge of blue paint on her cheek and I noticed that her eyes were the same shade, they were a shocking blue with flecks of gold almost like someone had splattered gold paint over them as an afterthought. She left quickly rubbing at the paint on her face, she had looked queer when she caught me observing her, people were weird like that.

The bells at the door tinkled once again and I woke from my reverie, Someone had entered the cafe again, I started as I caught site of the flaming hair, They curled and bounced in every direction possible, almost like a wildfire. She seemed to be in no hurry as she walked slowly towards her seat. It took me a moment to register as she plopped down opposite me and ordered.

"Morning" she mumbled, speaking warmly as though we had known each other for years.

I looked at her uncertainly, she seemed to know me...had we met before?

I scrutinized her face, trying to shake cobwebs out of my mind, she possessed a heart shaped face and her face held smatters of red freckles, her eyes stood out among her soft features as they were a pine green, they seemed to pulse with light  somehow, but I never got a chance to ask before I felt her reaching for my wrists, she held them tight, her brows drawn in concentration.

" Why did you do it?"

"I'm sorry, What?"

"Don't play games with me Sage, Do you know where the other is?" her tone was sharp.

"Sage?" Her face softened as she took in my face, maybe she'd noticed the way I was looking at her.

"Do you know who I am?" Her eyes looked like headlights as they widened with worry.

I shook my head lightly, all of a sudden it seemed the flame in her was extinguished, even her curls seems to loose their bounce as she slumped in her seat- defeated.

Her voice shook as she spoke," I was so sure, maybe I'm wrong bu-you look like her..." she stared at me, " my sister I mean."

I felt wretched in that moment, I somehow wanted to make it up to this wild haired stranger.

"Ma-maybe I just don't remember."

"Maybe you could tell me about her? Sage, I mean." I gazed up at her hopefully
she seemed to regain her spirit and taking me lightly by the arm she led me outside.

We walked in silence for some time, two strangers, not quite knowing what to say.
She broke the silence first.

" So since your name isn't Sage, what is it?"

" Sasha" I realised I didn't know her name either, I was pleasantly surprised, I usually wasn't the type to hit it off with strangers who thought I was their lost sister-yet here we were walking with each other on a Sunday morning.

"What about yours?"

"Cahira" her hand fluttered to the pendant at her throat, I had noticed this, it was a nervous tick of hers, suddenly her hand shot out and grabbed my wrist.

" I need to show you something" she whispered it urgently and minutes later we were both out of breathe and at my front door. The door creaked as I unlocked it and we stepped in, Cahira  looked unfazed and made herself at home on the sofa in the living room. Leaning on my wall  I questioned her.

" What were you going to show me?"

She patted the  space next to her and gestured for me to come over, I almost felt like a guest in my own house. She gave me a conspiratorial look and wiggled her fingers around .

" Look carefully "

I stared at her fingers, they seemed to make the air around them ripple with a kind of incandescence. Cahira slowly brought her fingers closer and suddenly touched me right in the middle of my forehead.

"What-!"

The world shifted and I was back.

Back in the seat at the cafe, the sun streaming in through the windows.

The bells at the door jingled, It was the red haired stranger again...