The Blond Boy

As I walked along, I spent my time enjoying the music, the rides, the food, everything. The boardwalk was so much fun but at the same time I felt like something was missing from my experience. A boy. My mind declared but I quickly pushed the idea aside.

The boardwalk had such a wonderfully young feel to it, like if you stayed you never had to worry about growing up because you wouldn't. I brought some pink cotton candy to munch on as I bounced along the wooden floor. After a while, I stepped aside to the seaside to enjoy the water, splashing around in the surf with my sandals off to the side. Some time came and went before I finally went back to the fair, casually striding along.

I was walking past a movie store when I caught sight of four black leather jacket boys casually walking around inside; one had short, platinum blond hair, another had long black hair, another still had long redish blond hair, and the last had long curly honey hair. But the one that really stuck out to me was Mr. platinum, even from a distance, I saw how wonderfully blue his eyes were. I ended up unconsciously walking toward the store entrance, hoping to say hi. It wasn't until I reached the door until I realized what I was doing.

No, no, no. No boy trouble this summer Moonlight, no boy trouble. Just as I got ready to turn away, he looked at me. He had been uninterestedly scanning the store, but saw me and froze.

I'm not sure if it's the cotton candy, but something stirred inside me and my heart began to hammer. But when he started towards me, I snapped back and bolted.

~

Some time later, I had just met back up with my bros when I saw Mr. Platinum again. My heart soared briefly before crashing when a beautiful girl with slightly frizzy brown hair sat on his bike behind him. I sighed softly. I should've known a hot guy like that wouldn't be single. Why am I so stupid? It was right around then when I noticed Mike staring sadly at the girl. Sam said something, but I doubt he heard, just like I didn't either.

"You like her." It wasn't a question, I already knew. He looked at me. "Gypsy instinct?" "Nah, big brother reading." We both smiled as I playfully punched him in the shoulder. Even though we both knew our emotions right then weren't nearly as easy going.

~

When the three of us got home that night, I found my fingers drifting to the single Ruby necklace that hung around my neck. It was the only real memory I had of my parents.

Was it really a good idea to move into this family? It seems like no matter where I look I'm an intoxication to my surroundings

Was it really a good idea to move into this family? It seems like no matter where I look I'm an intoxication to my surroundings. I sighed angrily. "Gosh darn it why do I always doubt myself?"

Ever now and again I went through this; doubting how far I'd come since the day Lucy came through the front door of the foster home. I remember how she came in so uneasily, unsure if she could take on the responsibilities of another kid. She had originally chosen a red head with the type of big blue eyes adults look for in kids. But just as she got ready to walk out the door, she saw me and stopped. I remember plain as day how she switched adoption plans quicker then anyone of us foster kids had ever seen. I bet they're still talking about it, it was pretty amazingly quick.

Annoyed with myself, I went into a childlike fit, tossing things up all over the place. Memories raced through my head like lightening, making my whole body heat up then cool down like nobody's business. I was just getting ready to scream when Michael came running in and grabbing my wrists, the same way he always did when I got out of control.

"Moonlight, calm down!" You could tell he was serious since he used my real name. "Why Mike?!" I was screaming and sobbing now. "WHY DOES THE WORLD HATE ME?!?!" He pulled me into his chest and held me there, despite my fists pounding against him. Bit by bit, my punches grew weaker and my wails faded away to body-shaking sobs.

"It's okay Ray, it's gonna be okay." But I just continued to cry, secretly content for him coming through for me the way he always did.