Marko

The next night, as the sun set, I could hear Michael and Sam's conversation as they talked about my fit the previous night, a little something they called Breaking Down.

"She sounded really bad last night Mike, maybe we really should hook her up with a nice guy." Mike shook his head. "No Sammy, that'll only make things worse." "You don't know that, neither does she! It was one guy, they'll be others. And what about school? You said so yourself; guys like girls who are confident. Ray's just reeking with it." "Sammy, Ray's had a childhood far worse then ours. She had to worry about finding a family, must less a good one. Do you honestly think she'd think about something as pointless as a guy now?" Sam was silent. "No...no I suppose not." Noticing the conversation was over, I stopped listening and branched away from my brothers to continue exploring the boardwalk.

A problem. Ever since I came to the foster home, that's all I've been. I sat down on the wooden walkway high enough over the sand so I could easily dangle my toes. "Would it kill the world to give me one bit of goodness?" I thought back to last summer. "That isn't a nightmare in disguise?" I added. I couldn't help myself, I lay my face in my hands and started to cry.

Just then, the sound of approuching feet snagged the corner of my hearing. The feet slowed and stopped beside me and the softest sound of someone kneeling beside me didn't fail to surprise.

"Hey girl." I sniffed and raised my head, it was the boy from the gang, the one with curly hony hair. His flirtatious face faltered when he saw my tear stained cheeks.

"Oh, why are you crying?" I rubbed my cheeks and sniffed. "I'm not crying." Regardless, he sat down beside me. "You sure?" A sob fell from my lips. "I don't know anymore!" I drew a hand over my eyes, sobs carefully reseeding. When I moved my hand, he was holding out a tissue. "Thanks." I took and blew my nose before dabbing my eyes.

"Sure. I'm Marko." He held out his hand with such a warm smile, I couldn't help the weak one I managed in return. "Moonlight, my family calls me Ray." "Ray, cool name." He stood. "Come on, I'll introduce you to my friends." I was hesitate at first but Marko seemed like a good guy so I stood and went along with him.