Chapter Two

Daisy's P.O.V. 

I sat on a bench outside of the church, the very bench dedicated to my dead parents. It seemed like everyone that had ever had an ounce of importance to me was gone, everyone was dying. 

I'm only 17, I can't do this on my own. But the thing is I have to. If not for myself, for Adrian. 

She was like a little sister to me. I was there when she was born, there when her father left, I've been there through everything. 

"Daisy?" I turned my head towards the little girl, her wavy brown hair pushed away from her face with a headband. "Where are we gonna go?" 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"Are we gonna go home?" 

The truth is I didn't know that answer. It wasn't safe. Sev knew where we lived, he could just take us  in the middle of the night. 

"You can come home with me," a framiliar voice said from behind us. I turned around and saw my close friend Courtney, her mascara smudged and her hair untidy. She was close with Phyllis as well,  but she didn't know everything.

"Are you sure Courtney?" I asked. 

The blonde nodded her head, "We can get your stuff in the morning. But it's getting late now, we should probably go." 

I smiled in gratitude and grabbed Adrian's hand, following Courtney to her car. The sun was setting, causing the sky to be painted in pinks and oranges. Sunsets at the beach are always so beautiful, but I couldn't enjoy it. Sunsets were Phyllis's favorite thing, I can't enjoy it without her. 

I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since that night. I can't sleep. I knew Sev, he was going to show up at the time when I was most vulnerable. He was going to make me do something I didn't want to do. He's done it before, he'll do it again. 

Revenge is Sev's middle name. He'll do anything to get back at me-at my family. However, I was the only family I had left. Everyone else- they're dead. Dead because of him. 

I've never known the full reason why Sev is so keen on making my life hell. He's insane, always has been and always will. 

We were at Courtney's house in a matter of minutes. It was a huge mansion right on the beach, there were so many great memories here. So many sleepovers, so many parties, so many things. I had a gut feeling it would never be the same, there's been too much loss. 

I carried a tired Adrian up the front porch and into the house. I didn't know how to explain it to her. I couldn't tell her that her mom had been murdered. The cover up was that she was cleaning the leaves off the top of our house and fell. That's what the whole town thinks anyway- that's what I told them. No one can know about Sev, no one can know he did it. Because if they know, he'll hurt me, or worse, Adrian. He'll do something so cryptic and mad that I can't even begin to express how awful it would be. 

"I'm going to put Adrian in the guest room if that's okay," I told Courtney. 

"Sure, that's fine." 

I nodded my head in appreciation and took Adrian upstairs to the guest bedroom. I shifted through the drawers to try and find something she could wear to sleep, but the best thing I found was old t-shirt. I helped Adrian change out of her dress and put on the shirt. I chuckled when I noticed it went all the way down to her toes. 

I turned her around so she was facing me, her big brown eyes were filled with tears. "What is it sweetie?" 

"I-I miss my mommy," her voice cracked as more tears spilled from her eyes. I pulled her in close and pressed my lips to the top of her small forehead.