Chapter Four

Zayn Malik

Zayn could still remember the first time they were in this room. The ugly coloured walls were still the same, decorated with that ridiculously expensive painting that he used to stare at everytime to avoid eye contact with the management. Zayn was pretty sure he could paint the same picture in ten minutes for a small fraction of the original price.

God, were they so young and naive back then, laughing between themselves, mirroring the way little boys were when they get caught at school for doing something stupid they prided in doing. But not everything stayed the same.

Back then everything was for the shits and the giggles. Nothing compared to how it was now.

Before, they will be sent to this very room for pulling a stupid prank. Or maybe for turning up tipsy to a certain charity event being held. Maybe even for letting a paparazzi capture them caught in a foolish act.

Oh no did it compare. These things were like child's play compared to the troubles they got in now.

Zayn was confused himself as to why things had turned out the way they had. Things were so good for them back then, they hardly ever struggled. They had risen from being normal school boys to being acclaimed as the world biggest boyband in a short space of time.

"Are you happy now, Zayn?" Liam harshly said bringing him out of his thoughts.

Zayn tensed against his scrutiny but said nothing. No one knew what he was going through right now. Why he was acting this way. And he wanted to keep it that way, afraid in becoming a burden to the band.

"I'm talking to you." Liam tried again.

Still, he said nothing.

"Are you -"

"Leave it, Liam." Louis said as he watched the two fight. Well, it was more of a one sided fight really.

"Why should I? For all we know, he's still drunk." Liam glared at Zayn and willed him to react. "Besides, he's the reason we're in here now."

Louis nearly rolled his eyes at his childlessness. He knew that Liam was only doing this to blame it on someone, to avoid getting himself caught in the problem. "Don't be so fucking stupid. It was everyone's fault as well as his. Everyone had a part in this."

Liam opened his mouth to retort something back but stopped when he saw the management entering the room.

They entered like they usually did, all business, no joke. This time, however, something was different. As one of them looked in his direction, he was shocked. The man looked spent, almost as if he had grown weary of the band. In fact, they all did.

And that only meant one thing.

"No." he whispered and tried to keep his emotions settled. Were they really going to do this? Were they going to end One Direction?

Even the others seemed to pick up on this as they suddenly grew tense and the air strained around them. They waited for someone to speak, afraid to break the fragile silence.

"Do you all know why you've been sent here?" One of the men, the one in glasses, said.

Liam knew that he shouldn't say anything to make the situation worse, but still Louis sent a glare in his way as an extra precaution.

Liam looked at him, I know, I'm not that dumb.

Harry cleared his throat. "We have an idea but we're not entirely sure why." He chose his words carefully, knowing the seriousness of the situation.