Chapter 1

It was well after midnight when Vera's life changed forever.

She hadn't been doing anything very exciting. Her English teacher had assigned an essay on the Grapes of Wrath, which was cumbersome even to Vera, who loved to read. Vera had just wrapped up the first paragraph when the doorbell rang. Breathing a sigh of relief at the welcome interruption, Vera went downstairs.

Halfway down, she stopped, realizing that it was in fact very late at night, and her younger sister Layla was in San Diego for a dance competition, their parents having gone with her.

Vera had never been in a dangerous situation in her eighteen years of life. What if it was someone trying to rob her? Or a psychotic stalker who liked to kidnap teenage girls?

Enough. It's probably just a prank.

But Vera's hands shook as she tiptoed to the kitchen and grabbed a knife. She had also never stabbed someone, but she hoped it wouldn't come to that.

She neared the door silently. Could a bullet pass through a wooden door? That seemed likely. Vera paused. But what if it was a friend from school, and here she was, opening the door with a knife in hand?

She took a deep breath, shaking the fears from her mind, then opened the door.

"Aspen?" Vera quickly set the knife down on a nearby windowsill, staring at her sister's best friend swaying dangerously in tall heels on the porch steps. Vera pushed up her glasses as if they were causing her visions. "What are you doing here?"

She watched Aspen teeter to the left, her glittery eyelids drooping, before she pitched forward, landing right in Vera's arms, her black hair falling over Vera's shoulders.

"I'm so drunk right now," Aspen slurred, then giggled, her arms tightening around Vera's waist and clumsily forcing herself upright. Vera stiffened at the contact. Although she had seen Aspen around a lot because of her sister, they weren't particularly close. In fact, rarely were they ever alone together, so this visit baffled her.

"You're pretty," Aspen whispered, blinking her bright blue eyes up at Vera.

Vera blushed. "Maybe you should lie down."

She dragged Aspen's leaden body towards the living room couch, awkwardly draping her on the cushions. Aspen groaned, then whimpered. Vera was tempted to Google how to deal with a drunk girl, but at that moment Aspen lurched up, clutching her stomach with a grimace.

"I think I'm going to throw up," Aspen said. Vera's eyes widened, her legs freezing in place. Then she thought of her mother's face looking at a vomit-stained couch and quickly ran to the kitchen, grabbing a large bowl. She placed the bowl in Aspen's hands just before she leaned over and puked.

Vera looked away from the bowl, instead reaching out and pulling back Aspen's long hair which had fallen into her face. Aspen gurgled into the bowl, then spit.

"Sorry," Aspen mumbled.

"It's okay," Vera said gently. She grabbed the bowl from Aspen's hands, dumped the contents into the toilet of the downstairs bathroom, then cleaned the bowl in the kitchen sink. Vera returned to a somewhat sobered-up Aspen, placing the cleaned bowl next to the couch. "Just in case you need it again."

Aspen smiled weakly, avoiding Vera's gaze. "Thank you."

Vera stood awkwardly, unsure what to do next. "Do you want to talk?"

Aspen looked up, her eyes wide as if she were surprised Vera was still there. Then her face fell into a sad frown, looking down at her lap. "I'm really tired. Do you think I could crash here for the night?"

Vera flushed with embarrassment. Of course Aspen didn't want to talk. She probably got drunk in order not to talk. "Sure. You can sleep in Layla's room. She's in San Diego."

"I know." Aspen smiled forcibly.

"Right." Vera looked around as if the surrounding furniture might help her. When the room stayed stubbornly silent, Vera grabbed the bowl and reached out a hand, which Aspen took to pull herself up. On her feet, Aspen quickly lost balance, and Vera's hands shot out to hold Aspen up.

"Come on, I'll help you," Vera said. Aspen nodded reluctantly, then they struggled up the stairs to Layla's room.

Inside the room was dark, the blinds closed on the windows, and the bed unmade. Aspen sat down on the edge of the bed to pull her heels off, then crawled into the middle of the blankets, drawing them close around her. Vera placed the bowl on the floor beside the bed and then stood awkwardly at the door.

"Thank you. Again," Aspen said, avoiding Vera's gaze.

"It was no problem. Really." Vera gave her a small smile, then turned and left, closing the door behind her.

She was halfway to her room when she realized Aspen would want medication and water when she woke up, so Vera quickly went to the kitchen to retrieve two ibuprofen and a glass of water.

Vera opened the door to Layla's room slowly. On the bed, Aspen snored softly, already passed out. Her shimmering dress was hitched up over her hip, revealing red lace. Vera averted her widening eyes, placing the water and pills on the nightstand.

Suddenly Aspen muttered something. Vera glanced at her, but she was still asleep, her black hair spilling on the white pillow like a pool of ink. Vera let out a sigh of relief.

Aspen murmured unintelligibly again, this time twisting around, which only brought the dress up more. Vera blushed involuntarily, then carefully lifted the blankets up to Aspen's chest.

Vera had her hand on the doorknob when Aspen spoke.

"Vera?" Aspen's voice sounded groggy. Vera froze, for some reason feeling caught. She tried to say something but the words stayed stuck in her throat. "Please don't tell Layla I was here."

Vera stared at Aspen's creased forehead and the wide, round blue eyes that wavered with a shame that Vera was not expecting to see.

"I won't," Vera promised. She returned to her room, weighed down from exhaustion and confusion, yawning just as her head hit the pillow.

***TO READ THE REST OF MY SISTER'S BEST FRIEND....CHECK IT OUT ON AMAZON!***

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B0BZKB7B1H&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_K367E9ERQRRDEQB97NPC