.2

"You already know this one. 

But I shake my leg when I'm nervous."

***

May 2015

"Eleanor, babe," Kyle places his hand on my knee, "you're shaking again."

"It's not my fault."

"There's no reason for you to be nervous. My parents are going to love you," he assures me. I'm meeting Kyle's parents tonight and I'm... stressed, to say the least. The last time I had to meet the parents, I was with my ex and what happened with said ex actually put me into the worst part of my life. Kyle doesn't know that, though, and today isn't exactly the best time to tell him about it. I don't even know when I'd ever be able to openly talk about it.

I come up with something to say, which isn't exactly the truth. "Kyle! I'm the actual worst, first impressions are not my strong suit."

"My first impression on you was actually pretty great," he claims and I look at him.

"You're just saying that."

"Eleanor," he says sternly, "Would I lie to you?"

"...No, you wouldn't."

"Exactly. Things will be just fine tonight, I promise."

"And things will be just fine if you please take your hand off my knee and put it back on the wheel?"

"Oh, yeah! Shit," He puts his hand back on the wheel and I just start laughing.

We pull up to his apartment building and he parks his car. I get into the backseat and pick up my pan, which contains the famous Abbott Family Green Bean Casserole. It was my favorite part about our Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and "special occasion" dinners when I was back home, and I'm very thankful that my mom taught me how to make it because it is so damn good. 

We go up to his apartment and we just watch a rerun of Seinfeld to pass the time until someone's knocking on the door. I stand behind Kyle as he opens up the door and he greets his parents, giving them a hug, and it completely takes me aback that his parents give me a hug without being actually introduced to me. I never received that kind of love with Adam's parents.

"You must be Eleanor! Kyle's told us so much about you," his mom says with her face lit up and I smile.

"It's so nice to finally meet you both! Do you want me to take that?"  I ask, gesturing to the pan she was holding. She lets me grab it and politely thanks me and I go set it down on the counter, taking notice that Kyle's dad had already set down what he was holding.

So far, so good, right?

*** 

Dinner with Kyle and his parents went well- Better, than I expected, honestly, and I'm thankful. His mom comes into his kitchen to join me as I'm washing the dishes. 

"You know, dear," she starts, "It's really been a while since I've seen that boy so happy." I can feel the color rushing to my face.

"Really?"

"Yes, really. He completely lights up when he talks about you and he loves California, but I know he spent the whole winter thinking about being in Chicago... Not only for baseball, but for you," she tells me, "I'm so glad someone like you came into his life."

"I try to make him happy."

"I don't think you need to try any harder. I know he really loves you," she says and I can't even hide a smile."

"Well, I really love him, too."

***

Kyle's parents stay a little while longer and they decide to head out at around 10. We all say our goodbyes and then it's just Kyle and I.

"See? They loved you," he says and I'm smiling- Again.

"Well, I'm glad. They're really great people."

"What did my mom have to say to you earlier? I'm just wondering because she has absolutely no filter sometimes," he chuckles. 

"Nothing bad, I promise," I assure him, "but she told me that you're happy and that's all I'm aiming for."

"You know," he looks me in the eyes and cups my cheek, "I am currently the happiest person alive."

"I could say the same." He presses his lips to mine and everything in my life just feels like it's right, after having something so fucked up about it for all this time. I can finally say I'm truly happy.

***

A/N

heyo !!

its me, after being absent for about fifty years

no okay but I've explained why i keep talking so many breaks from writing multiple times so i won't get into that because I'll definitely just sound like a broken record

but anyway

I'm sorry, this didn't exactly turn out the way I had hoped but im still glad I got to finally put something out again because i missed writing and i'm trying to get better

alright imma stop rambling because its very late

vote, comment, have a great day because you sure as hell deserve it

i love y'alllll