Chapter Twenty-two: Back to Normal

"Myung-soo! It's time to go to school!" Mrs. Kim called from downstairs.

"Coming!" Myung-soo yelled back. It has been a few days since Sung-gyu left and a day after his parents returned from the vacation Myung-soo planned with Dong-woo and Jung-won to send them away while he do his mission in the facility.

"Dong-woo and Sung-jong will probably come over later," Myung-soo said while having his breakfast. "We'll be having a group study."

"Sure," Mrs. Kim said, "I'll be here to cook for you later so tell them to stay until dinner."

"Mom, aren't you going to tell me what happened in Jeju?" Myung-soo said.

"How about you tell me what happened that gained you those bruises," Mrs. Kim said. "Did someone named Angel came here and did that to you?"

"Mom, Angel has been locked to a far, far away place!" Myung-soo said. "I got this while playing soccer, okay?" Mrs. Kim squinted her eyes. "This time it is true," Myung-soo said while looking at his mother's eyes and as calm as possible.

"How about that tattoo?" Mrs. Kim said, "is that some kind of a fraternity seal?"

"No, it's a... a friendship... art," Myung-soo said. "But only Dong-woo and I have the similar art on our backs."

"Right, friendship art," Mrs. Kim said, "or that is a new form of secret relationship art?"

"No, I'm telling you, no," Myung-soo defended, but his reddening cheeks seem to give his mother some other thoughts. "I think I should go to school now." Mrs. Kim giggled because of her son's reaction. "Aren't you going to wait for the school bus?" Mrs. Kim said.

"I feel like taking a walk," Myung-soo went over to his mom and hugged her, "Don't worry though, I'll be careful." Myung-soo gave his mother a peck before muttering "I love you".

That morning, Myung-soo decided to take the shortcut through the alley. It wasn't that pleasant to him, since in every direction he looked, all that he could see were the things that reminded him the time that he almost got killed. But he couldn't hate it, since it was also the same set of events which brought someone important to him close to his life for the second time around. Even if he didn't have the idea that it was his brother who saved him and not just another stranger.

Myung-soo reached the bus stop, and as usual, a lot of people were waiting for the bus to come. Groups of students were chatting together and a few other civilians stood beside the marker to go first when a bus arrives. Myung-soo decided to sit on the bench to wait. He pulled out his mp3 player to listen to music, but then after a moment of thinking, he decided not to. "It'll be safer inside the school," Myung-soo muttered.

"Right, when you're outside, you should pay attention to everything around you," someone said which made Myung-soo look around. When he got a look of the speaker, all that he was able to do was to look at her in awe. It was the girl on his sketches. "May I sit beside you?" she asked.

Myung-soo didn't say anything but moved over, giving enough space for the girl to sit. "Ah, thanks," the girl said, "By the way, it has been a long time since I saw you here."

You saw me here before? Myung-soo looked at the girl with questioning eyes, and the girl leaned forward to get a closer look of him. "Yes, you know... during the bus hold-up," the girl said. "I was there, at the back seat. You're okay now, right?"