10

Johnny reached for the surface of the water, spluttering as he gasped for air. He coughed as he turned back towards the fiery pit that was once a garbage barge. He swam to the nearest shoreline he could find and crawled out of the water, tired and coughing. He stood up and stumbled as he turned to look at the fire again.

"That was too close" He thought. He turned back towards the city and ran. "Flame on!" he cried. He burst into flames and flew into the air.

Johnny

He stopped suddenly in mid-air. He looked around, his orange eyes scanning for where the unseen voice came from.

Johnny!

He heard it again and this time his heart clenched in pain. He cried out and put his hand on his chest. He squeezed his eyes shut as the pain intensified. The fire surrounding his body extinguished and he fell. He could only feel his pain. Sirens filled his ears as he looked down. In that moment he knew, he knew where the pain came from and sirens were for. He flamed back on and flew above the fire trucks and the police.

"Nat" He thought.

The fire trucks and the police cruisers finally stopped in front of a burning building. The copes got out and watched above as Johnny aimed straight into the fire. Johnny crashed through the broken window, gaining a few scratches along the way. He tumbled to the ground as he became himself, his flames gone. Totally in his element, he looked around for Nat.

"Nat!" He called out. He got no response. He ran through the burning house as he called out for her. Smoke filled his lungs with each call of her name. He stopped to look around and noticed a dark figure on the ground through the smoke filled air.

"Nat!" Johnny cried as he ran towards the figure.

Natalie lay unconscious, not breathing. Johnny caressed her cheek, wiping away some of the soot that stuck to her. Tears fell from his cheeks and landed on hers. Debris fell as he held her in his arms, crying. He looked around into the fire and picked her up. He stood there in the fire holding onto Nat, not wanting to leave her to a fiery death. He looked out of a broken window and he looked into the direction that he had come from. In the distance he spied the water that made waves as boats moved across them. In that moment he made a decision. He ran and jumped out of the window. People cried out below in fear as he flew towards the ground.

"Flame on!" He yelled and immediately fire surrounded him, and only him. Nat was unaffected by the fire. He flew into the air as the building behind him exploded, causing people to scream and scramble away.

He went back to the exact same spot that he had crawled out of the water. He landed on the ground and sat down, Nat still in his arms. He was so close to the edge of the water that it softly hit his legs and Nat's hand. The cold seeped into his uniform as he rocked her back and forth, crying softly. He kissed her forehead.

"Please don't go...please..." Johnny pleaded. No response came from her motion-less body.

He cried even harder, and held tighter to her. Nat's head sat under his chin.

"I love you" Johnny said before completely breaking down.

As Johnny sat mourning his lost love, Sue still sat next to Reed, where Doom had thrown her. They all had heard the garbage barge explode.

"Three down and two to go." Doom said, looking out the window. He turned back to the frozen Reed and the fallen Sue.

Sue and Reed locked eyes.

"I...Love...Y.." Reed tried to say.

"Me too, Reed, me too" Sue said, knowing full well what he meant to say.