Chapter Twenty Two: My Lily

- THIRD PERSON -

10 hours had passed since the horrific event.
Lily Evans lay unconscious in the hospital wing, concealed behind a screen. Deep purple bruises caressed her undereyes, her paled lips slightly chapped and hair pulled up into a hasty knot by the matron. The remainder of her body was covered with a thick white quilt, tucked in at the edges to seal her away from the cold. Her freshly washed clothes were folded neatly on the nightstand, leaving her wrapped in nothing but a thin hospital gown. Sitting in a wooden chair besides her with his head bowed low over the quilts, James grasped both of Lily's clammy and scarred hands in his own. His glasses were set wonkily on his face and hair messily unkept. As his eyes fluttered closed James moved his paled lips, startling the silent atmosphere of the room.
"I'm so sorry Lily." He whispered into the cold night, his voice breaking on her name. James exhaled shakily, squeezing her hands. "I am. I'm so sorry. I - forced to watch....but I should have tried harder. I was stupid, I- I didn't think." James's shoulders shook slightly as he paused, wiping his nose on the sleeve of his Quidditch sweater. "I...the others don't know I'm here. Although living in a seperate dorm, it isn't hard get away with things these days." He paused, and it was eerily silent for the next few moments.
"I'm too ashamed to admit how awful I feel about it." He whispered. "I only wish that I could go back in time and prevent it all. Head to the three broomsticks for a beer, where we would've laughed for hours and gotten back to school safely. We shouldn't have gone. You were right Lily. You always, are aren't you?" James chuckled bitterly, his breath catching. "I'm sorry...that you're hated in our world. For something that you should be proud of. For something you can't help." His voice trembled as dragged his bloodshot eyes up to her pale, scratched face. "Oh, Lily." He whispered in agony, shaking his head. "I can't bare this. You deserve all the love & happiness the universe has to offer. You give so much, time and time again, and all you get is shit. From school, the ministry, from home - " He cut off, raising his head to glance miserably at the evening Daily Prophet that sat upon her visitors table. It was buried amongst a small collection of flowers, chocolates and cards; however the front page stood out like a full moon in a sky of ink. James's eyes scanned over the photograph of Lily, who lay concerningly pale, unconscious and drenched in blood upon the hospital bed. Madam Pomfry attempted to shoo the camera away, her hands swiping at the lense.

MUGGLEBORN ATTACKED AND ALMOST KILLED IN HOGSMEADE AMBUSH YESTERDAY AFTERNOOON:

Lily Evans, a Gryffindor seventh year attending Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and wizardry, was enjoying a normal day in Hogsmeade with her fellow Gryffindor seventh years, when they were abruptly ambushed by a 'throng' of a dozen cloaked attackers. With valued evidence, they are claimed to be he-who-must-not-be-named's 'deatheaters' - the ring leader being Bellatrix Black, an ex Hogwarts pupil. Bellatrix and co ambushed Lily and her six companions through an out of bounds alleyway leading back into Hogsmeade's Main Street. The majority of them managed to flee from the oncoming curses, when they realised little too late that Evans was the only one being targeted. They claim that this is because of her Muggleborn heritage. It was in this moment that she was hit with an impedimenta jinx, followed by the spell Petrificus Totalus moments later. Bellatrix then proceeded to torture Evans with the unforgivable cruciatus curse, whilst her six companions were forced to watch after being captured held in place by the deatheaters' (combined effort) incantation.
This occurred for an estimated thirty minutes minutes, before Bellatrix moved on to physically torturing Evans with a dagger and the heel of her pointed boots. Another onslaught of the cruciatus curse followed soon after.
By the time that Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster at Hogwarts, and Poppy Pomfrey, the school matron, were warned by nearby students and arrived at the scene - Evans was impaled with the dagger.  She was rushed to the Hogwarts Hospital Wing, where her condition remains unstable. 
Black's whereabouts is henceforth unknown after she left the crime scene late afternoon. Avery Robinson, Grayson Mulciber and Lucius Malfoy were also spotted to be seen under one of the cloaked mask, says source Sirius Black, cousin to Bellatrix, who was there with Evans.
He now leaves a comment for the prophet:
"I've never been close with my cousin. We haven't had family gatherings since before Hogwarts. I don't know who the rest the 'snakes' were, but  I saw Malfoy's hood fall. It was definitely Lucius. Could recognise him anywhere. Avery and Mulciber, on the other hand, revealed themselves willingly. I doubt they'll be returning to school."
Black was both distraught and heavily concerned for Evans, as were the four other friends whom accompanied her that day. A second source, Remus Lupin admitted to seeing Werewolf Fenrir Greyback. Greyback was witnessed approaching the female teenagers, and came seconds close to harming Evans. Luckily, Lupin says, Black ordered him to retreat before he could take her life. Lupin confessed this all with a hard face, and is not available for interviewing.
We wish Lily a speedy recovery, and hope that she does not require Saint Mungos treatment.
We now ask you, to any Witch or Wizard who is reading this, to please warn the ministry immediately if you see any sign of Bellatrix Black, Fenrir Greyback, Avery Robinson, Grayson Mulciber or Lucius Malfoy - where they will immediately be sent to Azkaban, with no trial.
We send our prayers to the young teenagers that witnessed this horrible crime, and hope that they keep safe. There will be no more Hogsmeade trips from Hogwarts students throughout the duration of the school year.